Kourtney Ginn '12
Employer: Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival
Internship Title: Education Intern
Describe your duties:
- Assist with The School at Jacob's Pillow which includes five programs: Ballet, Contemporary, Jazz/Musical Theatre, Cultural Traditions, and Choreographers Lab.
- Facilitate community programs, such as Days in the Arts, Families Dance Together at the Pillow, Morning Jumpstart classes, and Master Classes
- Give tours of the grounds
- Schedule and create Day at the Pillow Visits
- Help with special events such as the annual Gala and A Jazz Happening
What did you enjoy most about your internship?
I loved being fully immersed in my internship. I lived on the campus of Jacob's Pillow alongside 32 other interns.
What was the most difficult aspect of the internship?
The long hours were the most difficult part of the internship. A normal day was typically 10-12 hours long. However, it was not unusual to work up to 17 hours in one day. I also worked 6 full days a week and sometimes a half day on the 7th day, which was very difficult.
How did your experience at Bucknell prepare you for your internship?
In my experience at Bucknell I have become very good at time management and juggling many activities at once. This was a critical skill in my internship. I was given many tasks with hard deadlines that I was expected to meet, so time management was very important.
How did your internship prepare you for a career?
Having this experience made me feel extremely prepared for a career in the field of arts administration. I met countless people in the field that I learned a great deal from and now can use for future connections when I begin looking for a job.
What recommendations do you have for other students considering doing an internship?
I highly recommend doing an internship because it helps you confirm the field you are considering. It also gives you valuable experience that you can talk about during interviews with future employers.