August 2011 News
- BUEC to host 'Green Screens' documentary series
The Bucknell University Environmental Center will host a Green Screens documentary series, beginning with "Fresh," on Tuesday, Sept. 6, at 7 p.m. in the Campus Theatre in downtown Lewisburg.
- BILL presents 'Lunch and Learn' and 'Tea and Talk'
The Bucknell Institute for Lifelong Learning's "Lunch and Learn" program will host two lunchtime events on Sept. 6 and Nov. 29 as well as a mid-afternoon event on Oct. 25. The three events will focus on Union County, poetry and jazz.
- Author and educator Tim Wise to speak Sept. 13
Tim Wise will give the talk, "Colorblind: The Rise of Post-Racial Politics and the Retreat from Racial Equity," Tuesday, Sept. 13, at 7 p.m. in the Campus Theatre in Lewisburg. The talk is free and open to the public.
- Weis Center season opens Sept. 24 with 'Croon'
The Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University will welcome performing artists from around the globe during the 2011-12 season.
- 'Happy Happy Song and Dance Show' at Campus Theatre Sept. 10
The Campus Theatre in Lewisburg will host "The Happy Happy Song and Dance Show" children's performance on Saturday, Sept. 10, at 3 p.m.
- Pianist Lois Svard at Weis Center Sept. 9
Pianist Lois Svard will present a concert of solo works and duo-piano pieces performed with guest artists and friends on Friday, Sept. 9, at 8:30 p.m. at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University. [note change in time of performance]
- Bioethicist Engelhardt to speak Sept. 9
Bioethicist H. Tristram Engelhardt Jr. will give the talk, "Bioethics after Christendom," Friday, Sept. 9, at 4 p.m. in Trout Auditorium of the Vaughan Literature Building at Bucknell University.
- Computer science major builds aerial drone for a bird's-eye view of local stream
Nick Urban designed and built a remote-controlled aerial drone this summer to capture high-resolution images of Miller Run Creek for an ongoing restoration project.
- Bucknell grad assists in development of award-winning backpacking stove
A lightweight stove developed with the assistance of recent Bucknell University graduate Brent Noll has won an OutDoor Industry Award, presented in July in Germany to Vargo Outdoors.
- Bucknell alumni rank high in salary survey
Bucknell alumni ranked No. 4 among recent liberal arts college graduates in a PayScale College Salary Report.
- From construction to cancer research: Bucknell student followed unusual path
Jim McMichael spent 20 years in the construction industry before going back to school in 2009. He transferred from a community college to Bucknell in December and is pursuing a bachelor's degree in biology.
- Class of 2015 arrives for Orientation
The Class of 2015 arrived on campus Aug. 19 for Orientation, five days of academic, ceremonial and community-building events.
- Class of 2015: Not here yet, but making a mark
Bucknell University's Class of 2015 doesn't report to campus until Aug. 19, but already many members of the University's newest class are making their mark on the world.
- Earthquake felt at Bucknell
The 5.8 magnitude earthquake that rocked Virginia Tuesday afternoon and was felt in states stretching from North Carolina to Massachusetts also registered 216 miles away at Bucknell University's seismic station.
- Bucknell representatives attend White House Interfaith Service launch
Two representatives from Bucknell University traveled to the White House to attend the kickoff of President Obama's Interfaith and Community Service Campus Challenge.
- Greenfield-Sanders to discuss 'Black List Project' Aug. 30
Artist Timothy Greenfield-Sanders will discuss his work in a talk Tuesday, Aug. 30, at 7 p.m. in the Forum of the Elaine Langone Center. The talk is in conjunction with the Samek Art Gallery exhibition, "The Black List Project Volumes 2 and 3."
- Campus Theatre to host grand re-opening celebration Aug. 26
The Campus Theatre will hold a community street fair in celebration of its official grand re-opening Friday afternoon, Aug. 26.
- Arts. Everywhere. Festival Aug. 26-28
Bucknell University will host a festival celebrating the fine, visual, creative and performing arts called Arts. Everywhere. on Aug. 26 through 28.
- Bucknellians presenting theatre piece at Edinburgh Fringe Festival
A group of Bucknell University students and alumni is presenting an original theatre piece, "The American Family," at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland, which runs from Aug. 5 to 12.