In order to assist students and families in determining the affordability of off-campus study, we have provided a cost estimate template. The template will allow students and families to input both fixed and variable program costs. The costs of studying abroad vary widely, and by visiting the program provider websites, students and families can obtain detailed estimates of program costs. Due to travel and currency differentials, these program costs may be higher than regular Bucknell University costs.
Cost Estimate Template (Excel format)
Before filling out the cost estimate sheet you will want to visit your individual program's website or have the program costs readily available in order to factor in total program costs.
- Tuition and Tuition Credit: These numbers will remain fixed. All students studying off-campus will be billed for Bucknell University tuition. Students participating in third party provider programs (non "Bucknell -in") will also receive the tuition credit.
- Program Fees: These fees are charged in addition to the Bucknell tuition charge, and vary based upon program provider. Please visit the provider website for a detailed description and estimate of the fees.
- Housing and Meals: Each student is responsible for paying the full cost of housing and meals directly to their program provider. These costs are established by each individual program provider, and vary greatly from the charges set by Bucknell University. It is important to review each individual cost through your program provider to determine if housing, meals or both are included with the program fees, or if they appear as a separate charge.
- Personal Expenses: This cost will vary widely among students, based on the activities and expenditures that students accumulate. Costs incurred could include personal travel, excursions, eating outside of the meal plan, etc.
- Airfare: Airfare should be estimated based on the expected departure location. Program providers often estimate costs based on departures from major airports (Philadelphia, JFK, Newark, etc.). In some cases, program providers offer discounted group flights, or include the cost of airfare in program fees. Please consult the program provider websites for specific details.