Born in Matagalpa, Nicaragua, during the chaos of the Sandinista revolution, Eddy A. López is an artist and designer whose composite paintings and prints layer historical, mythological, and religious themes. He studied at the University of Miami, earning an M.F.A. in Printmaking, and Florida International University, where he completed a B.F.A. in Painting and Printmaking and a B.A. in Art History. Prior to coming to Bucknell, López taught art and design at Miami Dade College and the University of Miami.
López's artwork has been exhibited in various solo and juried group exhibitions across the United States and internationally, from the 2013 North American Print Biennial, to various shows in Florida, New York, California, North Carolina, Colombia, Egypt, among others. His work can be found in various public and private collections, including the Frost Art Museum, Jaffe Center for Book Arts, University of North Carolinia-Chapel Hill, Universidad Once Caldas, and El Minia University, Cairo.
As a graphic designer, López strongly believes in the power of simplicity in design and the sophistication that can be found in the delicate balancing act between type and image. With two decades of professional design experience, López has directed and managed projects for a variety of clients, from small non-profits to multinational organizations, on projects across the gamut of the design discipline, from editorial, informational, to promotional design, in freelance and in-house positions.
- M.F.A., Printmaking, University of Miami, Coral Gables, FL
- B.F.A., Painting and Printmaking, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- B.A., Art History, Florida International University, Miami, FL
- A.A., Visual Arts, Miami Dade College, Miami, FL
Printmaking, intaglio, serigraphy, digital printing. Computer averaging algorithms, compositing software, composite imagery. Graphic design, branding, editorial, informational, social impact design.
- 2016 SWEAT Broadsheet Exhibition, Center for Book Arts, New York, NY
- 2016 Dialogos e Interpretaciones IV, International Print Exhibition, Mission Grafica, San Fransico, CA
- 2015 Bastions, University of Miami Gallery at Wynwood, Miami, FL
- 2014 Water, Coral Gables Museum, Coral Gables, FL
- 2014 Eddy A. Lopez: Amalgam, University of Miami Gallery at Wynwood, Miami, FL
- 2014 Dialogos e Interpretaciones III, International Print Exhibition
- Frogman’s Print Workshop, University of South Dakota
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Pembroke, NC
- Palacio de Belles Artes, Universidad de Caldas, Manizales, Colombia
- 2014 ArtPalm Beach, Palm Beach, FL
- 2014 MIA SeaFair, Miami, FL
- 2013 North American Print Biennial, 808 Gallery, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2013 Clang Boom Steam, University of Miami Gallery at Wynwood, Miami, FL
- 2013 Impressions: a Selection of Academic Printmaking and Artists’ Books from South Florida, Turn-Based Press, Miami, FL
- 2013 SIPS International Print Exhibition, El Minia University, Egypt
- 2012 ArtMiami, Miami, FL
- 2012 Through the Window, Edgewood College, Madison, WI
- 2012 Smash & Grab, Locust Projects, Miami, FL
- 2012 SWEAT Collaboration, Miami International Book Fair, Centre Gallery, Miami, FL
- 2011 Impressed, Bakehouse Art Complex, Miami, FL