- Ph.D., Cornell University
- Experimental soft condensed matter
- Granular and multiphase flow
- Nonlinear, complex systems
- Physics education research
In complex systems, simple building blocks which interact through nonlinear forces combine to produce unpredictable, emergent behavior. For instance, grains interacting through friction and collisions can produce catastrophic avalanches, sudden jamming, and unexpected mixing and flow. Specific studies of interest include experiments on the jamming transition, stability and failure, effects due to external vibrations, and flow of granular-fluid suspensions.