Keith W. Buffinton
Dean of Engineering and Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Phone: (570) 577-1581
Fax: (570) 577-3579
- B.S.M.E, summa cum laude, Tufts University, 1979
- M.S., Stanford University, 1981
- Ph.D., Stanford University, 1985
- Computational Analysis
- Leadership in Management and Technology
- System Dynamics
- Advanced Dynamics
- Rigid and flexible multibody dynamics
- Pulse-width control
- Intelligent Systems
- Mechanical design
- Parametrically excited vibration
- Snowboard technology
- Computational methods in mechanics
- Engineering management education
- Bipedal Robots
- Remy, C.D., Buffinton, K.W., and Siegwart, R.Y., 2010, "Stability Analysis of Passive Dynamic Walking of Quadrupeds," International Journal of Robotics Research. (in press).
- Buffinton, K.W., Hoffman, K.L., and Berg, M.C., 2010 "Minimizing Residual Vibration in Short-Maneuver Pulse-Width Control," Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control. (in press).
- Barrella, E.M. and Buffinton, K.W., 2009, "Corporate Assessment of Strategic Issues in Technology Management," Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 21, pp. 27-33.
- Buffinton, K.W., Hoffman, K.L., and Berg, M.S., 2008, " Theoretical Basis for Short Manuever Optimal Pulse-Width Control," Proceedings of the 2008 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference.
- Bonaventura, C.S., Jablokow, K.W., and Buffinton, K.W., 2007, "A Modular Algorithm for the Dynamics of Multiple Flexible Robots," International Journal of Robotics and Automation, Vol. 22, pp. 222-234.
- Buffinton, K.W., Hoffman, K.L., Hekman, K.A., and Berg, M.C., 2007 "Optimal Pulse- Width Control of Flexible Dynamic Systems," Proceedings of the 13th IASTED International Conference on Robotics and Applications, pp. 7-14.
- Buffinton, K.W., Perkins, A.D., Beal, C.E., and Berg, M.C., 2005, “Evaluation of Pulse-Width Controllers for Multi-Link, Revolute-Jointed Robotic Arms,” Proceedings of the 11th IASTED International Conference on Robotics and Applications, pp. 131-139.
- Buffinton, K.W., 2005, “Kane's Method in Robotics” in Robotics and Automation Handbook, Kurfess, T.R., ed., CRC Press, pp. 6-1 to 6-31.
- Hays, J.E., Karapetian, M.J., Keenan, C.A., Buffinton, K.W., and Zappe, C.J., 2004, “A Dynamic Simulation of the Smallpox Threat,” Proceedings of the Complex Systems, Intelligence and Modern Technology Applications 2004 International Conference, pp. 721-730.
- Rathbun, D.B., Berg, M.C., and Buffinton, K.W., 2004, “Piecewise-Linear-Gain Pulse Width Control for Precise Positioning of Structurally Flexible Systems Subject to Stiction and Coulomb Friction,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 126, pp. 139-143.
- Buffinton, K.W., Shooter, S.B., Thorpe, I.J., and Krywicki, J.J., 2003, “Laboratory, Computational, and Field Studies of Snowboard Dynamics,” Sports Engineering, Vol. 6, pp. 129-137.
- Buffinton, K.W., Jablokow, K.W., and Martin, K.A., 2002, “Project Team Dynamics and Cognitive Style, Engineering Management Journal, Vol. 14, pp. 25-33.
- Djerassi, S. and Buffinton, K.W., 1998, “New Method for Constraints Violation Suppression,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 21, pp. 493-499.
- Buffinton, K.W. and Chang, V.W., 1996, “An Integrated Approach to Teaching Mechanism Analysis Using Working Model,” Proceedings of the 16th ASME Computers in Engineering Conference, paper 96-DETC/CIE-1431.
- Buffinton, K.W., 1992, “Dynamics of Elastic Manipulators with Prismatic Joints,” ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, Vol. 114, pp. 41-49.
- Dresner, T.L. and Buffinton, K.W., 1991, “Definition of Pressure and Transmission Angles Applicable to Multi-Input Mechanisms,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 113, pp. 495-499.
- Buffinton, K.W., 1990, “Parametric Excitation of Beams Moving Over Supports,” Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 1, pp. 359-377.
- Buffinton, K.W. and Kane, T.R., 1985, “Dynamics of a Beam Moving Over Supports,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 21, pp. 617-643.
- Wampler, C.W., Buffinton, K.W., and Jia, S.H., 1985, “Formulation of Equations of Motion for Systems Subject to Constraints,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 52, pp. 465-470.
Selected Honors and Awards:
- Bipedal robot research ranked 57th in "100 Discoveries that are Changing the World," Discover Magazine, January/February 2010 (with S.B. Shooter and the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition).
- "UGV Mobility & Coordination in Joint Urban/Littoral Environments," U.S. Department of Defense through the Office of Naval Research, 2009-10 (with S.B. Shooter and the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition; award number N00014-09-1-0913).
- "Unmanned Ground Vehicle Mobility in Urban Terrain," U.S. Department of Defense through the Office of Naval Research, 2008-9 (with S.B. Shooter and the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition; award number N00014-08-1-0953).
- Guest Professor Fellowship, Institute of Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland, 2007.
- Research Opportunity Award for “Dynamic Movement in Bipedal Locomotion,” National Science Foundation, 2007-08. (with K.J. Waldron)
- “Collaborative Research: Adaptive Pulse Width Control of Structurally Flexible Systems,” National Science Foundation, 2004-07. (with M.C. Berg; award number CMMI-0409055)
- “Outstanding Achievement in Mechanical Engineering Practice” Tufts University Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2004.
- “Outstanding Paper Award” presented by the Engineering Management Division of the American Society for Engineering Education at the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, 2003. (with E.M. Barrella)
- “Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching,” Bucknell University, 2003.
- “Outstanding Paper Award” presented by the Engineering Management Division of the American Society for Engineering Education at the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, 2002. (with K.W. Jablokow)
- “Star Performers Award for Innovation” presented by the Small Business Development Center of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for “Snowboard Research and Development Project,” 2000. (with S.B. Shooter)
- “Development of Pepper Harvesting Technology,” Ben Franklin Technology Center and Pik Rite Vegetable Harvesting Equipment, Inc., 1997-98. (with S.B. Shooter)
- “Best Paper in the Area of Education” presented by the Computers in Engineering Division of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers at the ASME International Computers in Engineering Conference and Exposition, 1991. (with J.W. Baish and J.H. Moffitt)
- “Development of an Integrated Computer and Experimentation Approach to Engineering Education” Westinghouse Foundation and International Business Machines Corporation, 1990. (with J.W. Baish)