Technology Fast Facts
We often take technology for granted. When we sit down at our computers every day, or turn our our TV, we often don't stop to think about all of the various components that make technology such an integral part of our lives. Here are some interesting "Fast Facts" about Technology at Bucknell:
- Our campus network contains of 500 miles of fiber optic cable. That's enough to stretch from Lewisburg to Montreal, with a few miles to spare!
- There are over 900 classroom and lab computers on campus. Almost every first year student could be seated at a computer in a classroom or lab somewhere on campus simultaneously.
- 650 wireless access points spread out all over campus ensure almost complete wireless coverage no matter where you go. You can sit on a blanket in the academic quad and surf the web, or you can be in a classroom, and look something up in an online library database.
- There are 12,000 ethernet connections on Bucknell's campus. That's twice as many connections as Lewisburg has permanent residents.
- Bucknell's network sends and receives 2.7 billion "packets" of information every day. That's a lot of information.