Majoring in English with a Creative Writing Concentration
The Concentration in Creative Writing combines courses in literary studies with a series of courses in creative writing. This option allows students to learn to write creatively and artistically while encountering models for good writing through the study of literature.
No Foundation Seminars or 100-level English courses other than ENGL 198 and ENGL 199 will satisfy major requirements for the Concentration in Creative Writing. Students intending to concentrate in creative writing are encouraged to begin their studies with the survey course (ENGL 199) or a 200-level literature class.
Students electing the Concentration in Creative Writing will take a minimum of nine courses, including:
- ENGL 199 Survey of English and American Literature
- One course in literature before the 19th century
- One course in 19th-century literature
- One course in 20th-century literature
(One of the literature courses listed above must be a seminar)
- ENGL 202 Introduction to Creative Writing: Fiction or ENGL 203 Introduction to Creative Writing: Creative Nonfiction
- ENGL 204 Introduction to Creative Writing: Poetry
- ENGL 210 Special Topics in Creative Writing or ENGL 229 Ecopoetics
- One seminar in creative writing
- One additional elective English course
Students concentrating in creative writing may fulfill their senior-year Culminating Experience requirement in one of two ways:
- The English Experience: a Culminating Experience that requires seniors concentrating in Creative Writing to attend six appropriate events during one senior semester selected from a list designated by the department as acceptable for the English Experience. Students will submit a 250-word response to their advisers after each event, and advisers will submit a pass/fail grade for this Culminating Experience. Students may petition the department chairperson if they wish to suggest an alternative project as their Culminating Experience.
- Participation in the Poet-in-Residence Master Class.
Minoring in English with a Creative Writing Concentration
The English minor with a concentration in creative writing requires five courses:
- Two creative writing courses at the 200 level
- One creative writing seminar at the 300 level
- Two film and media studies or literary studies courses in the English Department (at the level of 199 or above)