- Ph.D., in Geography, Pennsylvania State University
- M.S., in Geography, Pennsylvania State University
- B.A., in Anthropology, University of California at Santa Cruz
- American cultural landscape
- Cartography, GIS, and spatial methods
- Demographic mapping and analysis
- Human adaptation in the environment
- Landscapes of discrimination
- Law and GIS
- Periglacial geomorphology
- #ustainable communities
Recent Archaeological Field Seasons
- 2013 Yalburt Yaylası, Turkey (Konya province); land use and environmental change; Hittite / Bronze Age landscapes
- 2011 Yalburt Yaylası, Turkey (Konya province); water management & environmental structures in Hittite / Bronze Age landscapes
- 2009 Boğazköy-Hattuša / Çamlıbel, Turkey; environmental degradation at a Chalcolithic site
Recent Invited Lectures
- "The archaeology of environmental degradation in Asia Minor". Classics department lecture, Bucknell, March 2013.
- "The earth transformed: the archaeology of ancient environmental degradation in Anatolia" Penn State AIA lecture, Feb 13, 2012
- "Site Taphonomy and Landscape Disruption at Çamlıbel Tarlası, North-Central Anatolia" with Ulf Dietrich Schoop at the 8th International Congress on the Archaeology of the Ancient Near East Session: Unlocking hidden landscapes - survey approaches to challenging and marginal landscapes in the Near East. May 2012; Warsaw.
- Conference organizer: 2011 Susquehanna Symposium: Rivertowns: regional community assets in the 21st Century Sept 2011 Bucknell University
- "The Central Susquehanna Valley as a Region" 2011 Susquehanna Symposium: Rivertowns: regional community assets in the 21st Century Sept 2011 Bucknell University
SPATIAL INEQUITY/COMMUNITY IMPACT
"Institutionalizing Disparities in Education: A Case Study of Segregation in Wayne County, North Carolina High Schools" with Ann Joyner, InterActions: UCLA Journal of Education and Information, 2011.
"Institutionalization of Racial Inequality in Local Political Geography." with Allan Parnell and Ann Joyner, Urban Geography, 2010.
"Assessing the Effectiveness of Section 5 Pre-Clearance of Annexations in North Carolina" with Allan M. Parnell, Protecting Democracy: Using Research to Inform the Voting Rights Reauthorization Debate Warren Institute on Race, Ethnicity and Diversity University of California, Berkeley, School of Law 2006.
"Reading Gordion settlement history from stream sedimentation" in The Archaeology of Phrygian Gordion, Royal City of Midas: Gordion Special Studies 7 Edited by C. Brian Rose, University of Pennsylvania Museum, 2013.
"Scaling ceramic provenience at Lydian Sardis, Western Turkey", with Lisa Kealhofer and Peter Grave, Journal of Archaeological Science, vol. 40, num. 4. April 2013.
"Cultural dynamics and ceramic resource use at Late Bronze Age/Early Iron Age Troy," northwestern Turkey, with Peter Grave, Lisa Kealhofer, Pavol Hnilad, Carolyn Aslanf, Diane Thumm-Doğray and, Wendy Rigter, Journal of Archaeological Science, vol 4, num 4, April 2013.
CONTEMPORARY CULTURAL LANDSCAPE STUDIES
"Building the Next Seven Wonders: The Landscape Rhetoric of Large Engineering Projects." with Janet Jones, in Stanley D. Brunn (Ed.) Engineering Earth: The Impacts of Megaengineering Projects. Springer Science+Business Media, 2011.
"Cultural landscape in a globalizing world" in M. Payne and J.R. Barbera (Eds.) A Dictionary of Cultural and Critical Theory, Second Edition, Malden, MA: Wiley- Blackwell, 2010.
Learning from Lewisburg, Field guide for the "28th Annual Conference of the Nineteenth Century Studies Association" meetings, Selinsgrove, Penna., with Janet Jones. (http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/marsh/lewisburg_tour/Intro.htm) 2007.
Paleoperiglacial landscapes of Central Pennsylvania - Field guide to the 62nd Reunion, Northeastern Friends of the Pleistocene, May 1999.