- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- B.S., University of Rochester
- Tectonics and sedimentation of forearc, fold-thrust, and strike-slip orogens
- Physical sedimentology and petrology of clastic deposystems, including detrital geochronologic studies to evaluate sediment provenance.
- Application of field, sedimentologic, geochronologic, paleontologic, petrologic, geochemical, and paleomagnetic data to the evolution of sedimentary basins and the tectonic development of the North American Cordillera - emphases in Mesozoic-Cenozoic forearc, intra-arc, strike-slip, and retroarc foreland basins in southern Alaska, including twelve field seasons in the Alaska Range, Wrangell-St. Elias Range, and Talkeetna Mountains
- Physical sedimentology and stratigraphy of sedimentary strata in Alaska, Arizona, and Pennsylvania, including recent studies on fossil eurypterid-bearing Silurian carbonates in Pennsylvania and fossil fish-bearing Devonian fluvial strata in north-central Pennsylvania.
- Mars-Earth analog studies of alpine escarpments prone to mass-wasting, including integrated geomorphic-geophysical studies in Alaska and New Zealand.
- GEOL 107 - Global Change - Past and Present
- GEOL 204 - Evolution of the Earth
- GEOL 317 - Paleontology
- GEOL 210 - Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Foundation Seminar - Sixth Extinction (Environmental Residential College)
- Travel Field Geology Courses - (Field Geology of Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah)
([ ] indicates graduation year of Bucknell University student co-author)
Miller, Z.W., Finzel, E., Trop, J.M., 2015, Detrital geochronology of Pennsylvanian strata, central Pennsylvania and Maryland, Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 47, in press.
Ridgway, K.D., Trop, J.M., Finzel, E., Brennan, P., Gilbert, H., Flesch, L., 2015, New insights on the geologic framework of alaska and potential targets of opportunity for future research: EOS, American Geophysical Union Transactions, in press.
Benowitz, J.A., Davis, K.N., Brueseke, M., Trop, J.M., Layer, P.W., 2014, Investigating the lost arc: geological constraints on ~25 million years of magmatism along an arc-transform junction, Wrangell volcanic belt, Alaska: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 363.
Cole, R.B., Todd, E., Chung, S.L., Takach, M., Trop, J.M., and Idleman, B., 2014, Eocene forearc magmatism in the Matanuska basin, southern Alaska: revisiting slab window and alternate hypotheses: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 376.
Reid, M.M. [‘15], Kochel, R.C., Trop, J.M., Jacob, R.W., Duda, C.M. [‘15], Rubino, E. [‘15], and Williams, K., 2014, Mass wasting processes, geomorphic responses, and temporal evolution of icy debris fans along the la Perouse and Douglas glaciers, southern Alps, New Zealand: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 340.
Trop, J.M., Benowitz, J.A., Cole, R.B., O'Sullivan, 2014, The Alaska Range suture zone: Latest Cretaceous arc volcanism and Oligocene strike-slip basin development and coeval dike swarms: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 781.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES (published or accepted)
Finzel, E., Ridgway, K.D., Trop, J.M., 2015, Provenance of the Cook Inlet forearc basin, southern Alaska: investigating the effects of Cenozoic spreading-ridge and flat-slab subduction on sediment transport along convergent margins: Geosphere, v. 11, no 3, doiL10.1130/GES0129.1.
Vrazo, M., Trop, J.M, Brett, C.E., 2014, A new eurypterid lagerstatte from the Upper Silurian of Pennsylvania: Palaios, v. 29, p. 431-448.
Sunderlin, D., Trop, J.M., Idleman, B.D., Brannick, A., White, J.G., and Grande, L., 2014, Paleoenvironment and paleoecology of a late Paleocene high-latitude terrestrial succession, Arkose Ridge Formation at Box Canyon, southern Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 401, p. 57-80.
Kortyna, C.['11], Donaghy, E.['12], Trop, J.M., and Idleman, B., 2013, Provenance signature of a forearc basin modified by spreading ridge subduction: detrital zircon geochronology and detrital modes from the Paleogene Arkose Ridge Formation, southern Alaska: Basin Research, v. 25, p. 1-25, DOI: 10.1111/bre.12033.
Trop, J.M., Snyder, D., Hart, W.K., and Idleman, B.D., 2012, Miocene basin development and volcanism along a strike-slip to flat-slab subduction transition: stratigraphy, geochemistry, and geochronology of the central Wrangell volcanic belt, Yakutat-North America collision zone: Geosphere, v. 8; no. 4; p. 805-834.