Robert Rosenberg is Associate Professor of English and teaches fiction courses at Bucknell. He holds an M.F.A. from the Iowa Writers' Workshop, has served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Kyrgyzstan, as a Fulbright Scholar in India, and has taught in both Istanbul and on the White Mountain Apache Reservation.
His first novel, This Is Not Civilization, was a Borders Original Voices, a BookSense, and a New York Times Paperback Row selection. His second novel,Isles of the Blind, for which he received an NEA Literature Fellowship, is forthcoming this winter.
- M.F.A., Iowa
- Creative Writing (Fiction)
- Contemporary Literature
- Travel Literature
- Creative writing (fiction)
- American and British Literature
Current Projects and Research Interests
- Recently completed The Princes' Islands, a novel set in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Currently at work on short stories and a novel set in New Delhi, India.
- 2013 Fulbright-Nehru Scholar to India
- 2010 National Endowment for the Arts Literary Fellowship for The Princes' Islands
- This Is Not Civilization received the following honors: A 2010 Alaska Book of the Year, The 2005 Maria Thomas Fiction Award for Best Peace Corps Novel, A New York Times Paperback Row selection, A BookSense Selection, A Borders Books Original Voices Selection, Shortlisted for the William Saroyan International Prize in Literature, A Publisher's Weekly First Fiction Selection, A TimeOut New York Emerging Voices Selection, A Miami Herald "Best Literary Offering of the Season", A Powells.com #1 Staff Pick, One of Library Journal's "Season's Most Successful Debuts"
"Circus Circus" Cimarron Review. Volume 178
"Citizen, Speak Turkish: a novel excerpt." Witness. Volume XXIII
"The Golden Nugget." Copper Nickel. Volume 16
This Is Not Civilization: A Novel (Houghton Mifflin, 2004)