- Ph.D., Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- B.S., University of Rochester
- Tectonics and sedimentation of forearc, fold-thrust, and strike-slip orogens
- Physical sedimentology and petrology of clastic deposystems
- Origin and evolution of sedimentary basins along accretionary convergent plate margins
- Application of field, sedimentologic, geochronologic, paleontologic, petrologic, geochemical, and paleomagnetic data to the evolution of sedimentary basins and the tectonic development of the North American Cordillera - emphases in Mesozoic-Cenozoic forearc, intra-arc, strike-slip, and retroarc foreland basins in southern Alaska, including twelve field seasons in the Alaska Range, Wrangell-St. Elias Range, and Talkeetna Mountains
- physical sedimentology and stratigraphy of sedimentary strata in Alaska, Arizona, and Pennsylvania
- Mars-Earth analog studies of arctic depositional environments
- GEOL 107 - Global Change - Past and Present
- GEOL 204 - Evolution of the Earth
- GEOL 317 - Paleontology
- GEOL 210 - Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- Foundation Seminar - Sixth Extinction (Environmental Residential College)
- Travel Field Geology Courses - (Field Geology of Alaska, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah)
- GEOL 319, 320 - Undergraduate research (formal semester-long research projects)
- GEOL 329, 430 - Senior thesis research (proposal development and thesis writing)
([ ] indicates graduation year of Bucknell University student co-author)
Benowitz, J.A., Davis, K.N., Brueseke, M., Trop, J.M., Layer, P.W., 2014, Investigating the lost arc: geological constraints on ~25 million years of magmatism along an arc-transform junction, Wrangell volcanic belt, Alaska: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 363.
Cole, R.B., Todd, E., Chung, S.L., Takach, M., Trop, J.M., and Idleman, B., 2014, Eocene forearc magmatism in the Matanuska basin, southern Alaska: revisiting slab window and alternate hypotheses: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 376.
Reid, M.M. [‘15], Kochel, R.C., Trop, J.M., Jacob, R.W., Duda, C.M. [‘15], Rubino, E. [‘15], and Williams, K., 2014, Mass wasting processes, geomorphic responses, and temporal evolution of icy debris fans along the la Perouse and Douglas glaciers, southern Alps, New Zealand: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 340.
Trop, J.M., Benowitz, J.A., Cole, R.B., O'Sullivan, 2014, The Alaska Range suture zone: Latest Cretaceous arc volcanism and Oligocene strike-slip basin development and coeval dike swarms: Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs, v. 46, no. 6, p. 781.
REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES (published or accepted)
Vrazo, M., Trop, J.M, Brett, C.E., 2014, A new eurypterid lagerstatte from the Upper Silurian of Pennsylvania: Palaios, v. 29, p. 431-448.
Sunderlin, D., Trop, J.M., Idleman, B.D., Brannick, A., White, J.G., and Grande, L., 2014, Paleoenvironment and paleoecology of a late Paleocene high-latitude terrestrial succession, Arkose Ridge Formation at Box Canyon, southern Talkeetna Mountains, Alaska: Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, v. 401, p. 57-80.
Kortyna, C.['11], Donaghy, E.['12], Trop, J.M., and Idleman, B., 2013, Provenance signature of a forearc basin modified by spreading ridge subduction: detrital zircon geochronology and detrital modes from the Paleogene Arkose Ridge Formation, southern Alaska: Basin Research, v. 25, p. 1-25, DOI: 10.1111/bre.12033.
Trop, J.M., Snyder, D., Hart, W.K., and Idleman, B.D., 2012, Miocene basin development and volcanism along a strike-slip to flat-slab subduction transition: stratigraphy, geochemistry, and geochronology of the central Wrangell volcanic belt, Yakutat-North America collision zone: Geosphere, v. 8; no. 4; p. 805-834.