- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- M.Eng. in Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University
- M.B.A. in Operations Research, Cornell University
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Penn State University
- Processing effects on mechanical and material properties
- Manufacturing process modeling and optimization
- Materials characterization
- Rigid Body and Deformable Body Mechanics
- Engineering Statistics and Mathematics
- Engineering Optimization
Selected Grant Awards
- Instrumentation for Research in Materials Characterization and Nondestructive Evaluation, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0619232, Co-PI (with M.M.Sharma).
- Integrating Nanotechnology into Undergraduate Engineering Curricula at Bucknell University, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0741487, Senior Personnel (PIErin Jablonski).
- Practice-Based Manufacturing Education-Adapting a Learning Factory Approach ,National Science Foundation, Grant No. 0410683, PI (with J.P. Iselin).
- Layered Manufacturing Decision Support and Design Feedback, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9813042, PI.
- Rapid Prototyping Center, Ben Franklin Technology Partners, Challenge Grant No. 6011, PI (with J. Politis).
- Manufacturing Processes Laboratory/Instructional Facility, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9750788, PI.
- Product Realization Consortium: Systems Approach to Manufacture, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9413089-3, Co-PI (with D.W. Taylor).
- Product Realization Consortium: Systematic Reform of Manufacturing Education, National Science Foundation, Grant No. 9413089-2, PI.
- Presidential Professor 2015-18
- Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence 2012
C.W. Ziemian, R.D. Ziemian, K.V. Haile (2016). Characterization of Stiffness Degradation caused by Fatigue Damage of Additive Manufactured Parts, Materials & Design, 109, pp. 209 - 218.
C.W. Ziemian and W.J. Wright (2016). An Experimental Study of Cold Sprayed Fe-Based Metallic Glass Powder Particles, Proceedings of 30th International Conference on Surface Modification Technologies (SMT30), Milan, Italy, June 29-July 1.
S.N. Ziemian, M.N. Okwara, C.W. Ziemian (2015). Tensile and Fatigue Behavior of Layered Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, Rapid Prototyping Journal, 21(3), pp 270 - 278.
R.D. Ziemian and C.W. Ziemian (2015). Ideal Brace Stiffness for Systems with Multiple Parallel Members, Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures, Lisbon, Portugal, July 22-24.
D.E. Cipoletti, C.W. Ziemian, W.J. Wright, D.J. Helfritch, K.V. Haile, M.N. Okwara, K.A. Hetherington (2015). Critical Velocity Window for the Deposition of Iron-Based Metallic Glass Particles using Cold Spray, Proceedings of International Thermal Spray Conference, Long Beach, California, May 11-14.
C.W. Ziemian, D.E. Cipoletti, S.N. Ziemian, M.N. Okwara, K.V. Haile (2014). Monotonic and Cyclic Tensile Properties of ABS Components Fabricated by Additive Manufacturing, Proceedings of 25th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, University of Texas, Austin, Texas, August 4-6.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, B.D. Bouffard, T. Nissley, T.J. Eden (2014). Effect of Substrate Surface Roughening and Cold Spray Coating on the Fatigue Life of AA2024 Specimens. Materials and Design, Volume 54, pp 212-221.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, B.D. Bouffard (2012), Effect of Surface Preparation and Cold Sprayed Coating on Fatigue Performance of AA2024-T351 Substrates, Proceedings of 2012 VI Aluminium Surface Science & Technology Symposium, Sorrento, Italy, 27-31 May, 2012.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma, S.N. Ziemian (2012), Anisotropic Mechanical Properties of ABS Parts Fabricated by Fused Deposition Modelling, In: Mechanical Engineering, Dr. Murat Gokcek (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0505-3, InTech;
C.W. Ziemian, D.E. Whaley, M.M. Sharma (2012), Effects of Flashing and Upset Sequences on Microstructure, Hardness, and Tensile Properties of Welded Structural Steel Joints, Materials and Design, 33(1): 175-184.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian, T.J. Eden (2011), Fatigue Behavior of SiC Particulate Reinforced Spray-Formed 7XXX Series Aluminum Alloys, Materials and Design, 32(8-9): 4304-4309.
C.W. Ziemian, R.D. Ziemian, E.T. Barker (2010), "Shake-Table Simulation Study on Small Scale Layered Models," Rapid Prototyping Journal, 16(1): 4-11.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian, T.J. Eden (2010) "Processing and Composition Effects on the Fracture Behavior of Spray Formed 7XXX series Al-alloys," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 19(9): 1344-1351.
M.M. Sharma, C.W. Ziemian (2008), "Pitting and Stress Corrosion Cracking Susceptibility of Nanostructured Al-Mg Alloys in Natural and Artificial Environments," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 17(6): 870-878.
C.W. Ziemian, M.M. Sharma (2008), "Adapting Learning Factory Concepts Towards Integrated Manufacturing Education," International Journal of Engineering Education, 24(1): 199-210.