- B.S. in Architectural Engineering, Drexel University, 1994
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Drexel University, 1994
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, Drexel University, 1997
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Drexel University, 1997
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, The University of Iowa, 2004
- environmental fluid mechanics
- sediment Transport
- multi-phase fluid dynamics
- turbulence and vortex dynamics
- instrumentation development for experiments in fluids
- experimental methods in fluid mechanics
- Fluid Mechanics
- Engineering Experimentation
- Engineering Analysis (mathematical methods)
Selected Honors and Awards:
- Lindback Career Enhancement Minority Junior Faculty Grant 2007
- Swanson Research Fellow 2005-2007
- Amelia Earhart Scholarship Award 2002-2003
- AAUW Dissertation Fellowship 2001-2002
M.L. Beninati & J.S. Marshall, An experimental study of the effect of free-stream turbulence on a trailing vortex, Experiments in Fluids 38, 244-257 (2005).
J.S. Marshall & M.L. Beninati, External turbulence interaction with a columnar vortex with and without axial flow, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 540, 221-245 (2005).
J.S. Marshall & M.L. Beninati, Analysis of subgrid-scale torque for large-eddy simulation of turbulence, AIAA Journal 41(10), 1875-1881 (2003).
J.S. Marshall & M.L. Beninati, Turbulence evolution in vortex-dominated flows, Advances in Fluid Mechanics 25 (Nonlinear Instability, Chaos and Turbulence II, edited by L. Debnath and D.N. Riahi), WIT Press, Southampton, England (2000).