(on leave spring 2014)
- Ph.D., Virginia Commonwealth University
- M.B.A.,University of Richmond
- B.A., University of West Florida
Teaching Interests & Courses Taught at Bucknell
- Accounting and Financial Management
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Financial Management I (MGMT 160/200)- 10 sections
- Auditing (MGMT 357) 4 sections
- Judgment and decision making in auditing and accounting contexts
- The accounting profession- changes and challenges
Grants, Honors & Awards
- The Women's Initiatives Executive Committee of the AICPA competitive grant for research in the area of women's progress to leadership in the accounting profession (with co-investigators A. Jones and T. Ackerman), May 2011 ($5,000)
- Selected for AAA-Deloitte J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium, June 2008
- Michael J. Barrett Doctoral Dissertation Grant by the Institute of Internal Auditors Research
Foundation, 2008 ($5,000)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers INQuiries Program competitive grant (with co-author R. Epps), 2007 ($30,000)
- Outstanding New Advisor, American Express Financial Advisors, 1997
- Co-valedictorian, Choctawhatchee High School, Ft. Walton Beach, FL, Class of 1975 (465 in class)
- School of Management Assessment Committee (for AACSB initial accreditation process)
- School of Management Liaison, Library and Information Technology (Fall20 I 0 -present)
- Faculty Co-Advisor, Accounting Club (Fall2010 -present)
- Faculty Advisor-Johnson & Johnson Competitive Case Competition, Spring 2011 and Spring 2012
- Faculty Supervisor-Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program 2012
PEER REVIEWED SCHOLARSHIP (*indicates work begun while at Bucknell)
Articles / Papers
"Chief Audit Executives' Evaluations of Whistle-Blowing Allegations," with J. Rose and C. Strand Norman. Forthcoming. Behavioral Research in Accounting.
*"Role Stress and Job Outcomes in Public Accounting: Have the Gender Experiences Converged?" with A. Jones and V. Iyer. 2012. Advances in Accounting Behavioral Research.
"Are Anonymous Whistleblowers Taken Seriously?" Internal Auditor, October 2010.
"Sarbanes-Oxley 404 Material Weaknesses and Discretionary Accruals," with R. Epps. 2010 Accounting Forum (34) 67-75. Research funded by 2007 grant from PricewaterhouseCoopers INQuiries Program.
* "Baptist Hospital and the State of North Carolina: Muddy Contracts, Alleged Malfeasance and
Whistleblowing Aftermath," with E. Taylor. Under first review, Issues in Accounting Education.
*"Job Burnout in Public Accounting: Understanding Gender Differences," with A. Jones. Under first review, Journal of Managerial Issues.
* "A Longitudinal Study of Gender Differences in Role Stressors, Burnout and Job Outcomes in Public Accounting Professionals," with A. Jones and T. Ackerman. Research funded by a grant from the Women's Initiatives Executive Committee of the AICPA.
"Evaluating Faculty Publications in Accounting Ph.D. Programs: The Author Affiliation Index as an Alternative," with J. Everett, P. Olds, and J. Vijayakumar.
* "Baptist Hospital and the State of North Carolina: Muddy Contracts, Alleged Malfeasance and Whistleblowing Aftermath," with E. Taylor. Accepted for presentation at 2012 American Accounting Association (AAA) Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C.
*"Job Burnout in Public Accounting: Understanding Gender Differences," Mid-Atlantic Region of the AAA, Mid Year Research Conference. April 2012. Philadelphia, PA.
*"Job Burnout in Public Accounting: Understanding Gender Differences," October 2011 Northeastern Association ofBusiness, Economics and Technology.
* "Healthy Lifestyle, Role Stressors and Job Outcomes in Public Accounting: A Current Study of Gender Differences," 2011 AAA Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
"Chief Audit Executives' Evaluations of Whistle-Blowing Allegations," Accounting, Behavior and Organizations 2010 Research Conference, Denver, CO (AAA Sectional Conference).
"Evaluating Faculty Publications in Accounting Ph.D. Programs: The Author Affiliation Index as an Alternative Benchmark Measurement of Quality," 2009 AAA Annual Meeting, New York, NY.
"Internal Control Deficiencies and Discretionary Accruals: Do Material Weaknesses Influence Discretionary Accruals?" (presented by co-author, R. Epps), 2008 AAA Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
"Alternatives to Tax Practice," invited presentation for the Southeast Regional Accounting Show, June 2000, sponsored by the Florida Institute of CPAs, Orlando, FL.
"Crunching the Retiree Medical Numbers with FASB," with J. Mullan. Invited article for the Illinois CPA Society News Journal. May 1990.