Weis Center season: music and dance and more
Posted: July 22, 2013
LEWISBURG, Pa. — The 2013-14 season at the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University includes 30 events and features music and dance from around the world. Many events are free. All events are open to the public.
The 30 events include world music, jazz, blues, modern dance, traditional dance from India, Ireland and Poland, classical, Americana/roots music, and a family discovery series.
The season will kick-off on Friday, Aug. 30, at 5:45 p.m. with a free outdoor concert on the Weis Center Plaza by Americana female trio Red Molly. [note new start time] Since 2004, Red Molly has been bringing audiences to their feet with gorgeous three-part harmonies, crisp musicianship, and their warm, engaging stage presence.
The Boston Globe says of the group, "Red Molly may be from New York, but their bluegrass and old-time gospel sounds and buoyant three-part harmonies are so down-home it's as if their notes are carried to you on the crisp air of the Ozarks."
Kathryn Maguet, executive director of the Weis Center, says of the season, "We are inspired after last season's success, both on stage and in the vitally important residency work our artists conduct in the community and classrooms. We believe that artistic excellence is fundamental to extraordinary excellence and this season we present a slate of artists from around the world whose curiosities, ideas and risk-taking truly identify them as 21st century visionaries."
Season highlights in the Weis Center include:
- Americana/roots music from Josh Ritter on Sept. 27, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell on Oct. 26, Andy Statman Trio's American Masterpieces Tour on Nov. 13, and blues-greats Ruthie Foster and Eric Bibb on Feb. 12.
- Traditional music and dance from around the world, including South Indian dance by Aparna Ramaswamy on Sept. 19, Celtic music and dance from Natalie MacMaster on Dec. 7, Celtic music by Martin Hayes Masters of Tradition on March 21, and the Slask Song and Dance Ensemble of Poland on Feb. 7.
- World music from Pedrito Martinez Group on Sept. 11, Vieux Farka Toure on Oct. 16, Romano Drom on Feb. 26, Zakir Hussain and Masters of Percussion on April 11, and many others.
- Classical music from Pacifica Quartet on Oct. 19, Venezuelan Pianist Gabriela Martinez on Nov. 8, Pablo Ziegler Classical Tango Quartet on Nov. 22, Szymanowski Quartet on Jan. 31, Venice Baroque Orchestra on Feb. 21, and Sybarite5 on April 4.
- Modern dance by Camille A. Brown and Dancers on Oct. 5, Ballet Hispanico on Nov. 1, and Les Ballets Jazz de Montreal on Jan. 24.
- A family discovery series that includes LEO, The Anti-Gravity Show on Sept. 24, David Engel's Pirate School on Dec. 14 and, back by popular demand, Lightwire Theater's Dino Light on March 1.
- Jazz by Catherine Russell Trio on Nov. 20 and Jason Moran and the Bandwagon on April 17.
Ticket ordering info
The majority of Weis Center tickets range in price from $20 to $30, with discounts available for senior citizens, college students, groups and youth. Payment by check, American Express, MasterCard, VISA, and Discover are accepted.
The 28-page season brochure and ticket order form can be downloaded directly from the Weis Center's website. To request a hardcopy brochure, contact Lisa Leighton, marketing and outreach director, at 570-577-3727 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and one will be mailed at no cost. The brochure includes a ticket order form, which can be mailed to Campus Box Office, Bucknell University, Lewisburg, PA 17837.
Subscription orders by mail will be given priority until Aug. 16. Subscribers may order single tickets at the lower subscription price using the ticket order form.
Single ticket orders by mail will be filled in the order in which they have been received and will be mailed out beginning Aug. 19.
Ticket sales begin Aug. 30
Beginning Friday, Aug. 30, members of the public may charge tickets on the Internet at www.Bucknell.edu/BoxOffice. For phone orders, call the Campus Box Office at 570-577-1000 between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Tickets will be available in person from several locations including the Weis Center lobby weekdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and one hour prior to performances; the Barnes & Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore in Lewisburg weekdays and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday, 12:30 to 4 p.m.; and the CAPS Center Box Office, located on the ground floor of the Elaine Langone Center, weekdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For more information about the 2013-14 Series, go to www.bucknell.edu/WeisCenter or www.facebook.com/WeisCenter.
Next story >>