The Cadigan Prizes for Younger Writers recognize outstanding poetry and prose by Bucknell undergraduates. Current, full-time Bucknell undergraduates are eligible. First and second place cash prizes, as well as honorable mentions at the judges' discretion, are awarded in each of two categories: prose (fiction or creative nonfiction) and poetry.
- First Place Poetry: $350
- First Place Prose: $350
- Second Place Poetry: $150
- Second Place Prose: $150
Winners will be invited to read their works at the Annual Student Reading on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 in Bucknell Hall.
Judges for 2015–16 are Sasha Steensen (poetry) and Hazel Foster (prose). Steensen is the author of three books of poetry, most recently House of Deer. Hazel Foster has published her stories in several venues and is at work on a first collection. Both writers have appeared in West Branch, Bucknell's professional literary journal.
Contest Deadline: Friday, December 9, 2016 (by midnight)
Winners will be announced on the Stadler Center’s Facebook page in mid-January. Please “like” us on Facebook to hear the results.
- Submissions must be formatted as PDF documents. (In Microsoft Word, choose "Save As" and PDF). No exceptions.
- Please include a cover page with your name, the genre of the submission(prose must be labeled fiction or nonfiction), and title(s) of works submitted.
- Only current, full-time Bucknell undergraduates are eligible to submit work.
- You may submit in one or both categories (poetry and prose).
- You are limited to one submission per category.
- Poetry submissions should consist of 5 to 10 pages of poetry, no more than one poem per page. Poems should appear in the order in which you wish them to be read.
- Prose submission should consist of one 5 to 25 page short story or creative essay.
- Poetry may be single-spaced; prose must be double spaced.
Any entry that does not meet all of the above requirements will be disqualified.