About the Program
- Bucknell’s Latin American studies program brings together 13 faculty members from nine social science and humanities departments and programs — anthropology, economics, environmental studies, geography, history, international relations, Latin American studies, political science, sociology, Spanish — providing students with a broad range of perspectives on Latin America and its role in the global system.
- The study of Latin America challenges ethnocentric attitudes and offers students an opportunity to raise essential questions about human rights, responsibilities, values, inequality, social justice, and resource utilization and allocation.
- Most majors and minors become fluent in Spanish.
- Nearly all majors and minors study abroad in a Latin American country.
- Latin American studies majors tend to be active in campus organizations with an international or political emphasis.
- The Latin American Studies Program offers many opportunities for interaction and research with professors who take a personal interest in their students.
- Bucknell's Latin American Studies Program provides an interdisciplinary approach that brings students into contact with faculty members from many different academic backgrounds and provides a comprehensive approach to the sociopolitical complexity and cultural diversity of Latin America.
- Bucknell has extensive library holdings of books, periodicals, films, and videos on Latin America that provide a rich resource of material for students.
- Bucknell professors have traveled and researched extensively in Latin America. The first-hand knowledge that they bring to the classroom greatly enriches the educational process for students.
- Research, publications, and creative works by Bucknell's Latin American Studies faculty range widely over such topics as problems and processes of development and globalization, comparative political and economic systems, social movements, indigenous and revolutionary cultures, environment and resources, literature and film.
- Bucknell presents a number of lectures, symposia, workshops, teach-ins, seminars, and student projects on Latin America throughout the year.
- Bucknell sponsors visits and residencies by Latin American writers and scholars.