Mathematics Department Events
Summer 2013 Conference Honoring Howard Smith
On May 13 and 14, the department of mathematics hosted a celebration of the career and mathematical achievements of our friend and colleague, Howard Smith, who is retiring this year.
Mathematicians based in the US, Italy, Ireland, and New Zealand joined us for the event, giving a total of eight talks on various aspects of Howard's main area of research.
- Martin J. Evans, "Omissible extensions of certain locally finite linear groups"
- Eamonn O'Brien, "Algorithms for linear groups defined over infinite domains"
- Kim Ruane, "Automorphism Groups and Geometric Group Theory"
- Patrizia Longobardi, "Some results on products of finite subsets in groups"
- Martyn Dixon, "Groups with subgroups of certain types"
- Ted Hurley, "Algebra in communications"
- Mercede Maj, "Recent results on groups with few isomorphism classes of derived subgroups"
- Giovanni Cutolo, "Groups with restricted outer automizers"
› View a pdf of the Conference Program which contains titles and abstracts for all of the talks.