Civil & Environmental Engineering
T. Michael Toole
Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
Associate Dean of Engineering
Director, Inst. for Leadership in Tech. & Mgt.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Bucknell University, 1983
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1994
- Bucknell University
- ENGR 100 (Exploring Engineering)
- CENG 472 (Construction Engineering)
- ENGR 242 (Materials Engineering)
- CENG 490 (Engineering Planning and Project Management)
- CENG 330 (Transportation Engineering)
- FOUND 095 53 (Human Side of Technology)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Taught graduate courses in business and technology strategy and research methods to engineers and architects from 1992 to 1994.
- Construction safety, particularly designing for construction safety.
- Project management, particularly project management simulation
- Construction innovation
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member, NIOSH NORA Construction Sector Canal and Co-Chair, Construction Hazards Prevention through Design Workgroup (2006-2008)
- Vice Chair, ASCE-Construction Institute Prevention through Design Committee (2007-2009)
- Professional Civil Engineer registered in Pennsylvania
- OSHA 500 Trainer for the construction industry
- Member, Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi, Chi Epsilon, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Mortar Board honor societies
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers
- Toole, T. M. (2011). "Internal Impediments to ASCE Vision 2025." Leadership and Management in Engineering 11(2):197-207.
- Abowitz, D. and T. M. Toole (2010). "Mixed Method Research: Fundamental Issues of Design, Validity and Reliability in Construction Research." Journal Of Construction Engineering and Management 136 (1): 108-116.
- Hallowell, M. R. and T. M. Toole (2009). "A Contemporary Design-Bid-Build Model." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 135(6): 540-549.
- Toole, T. M. and J. Gambatese (2008). “The Trajectories of Construction Prevention through Design.” Journal of Safety Research 39(2): 225-230.
- Toole, T. M. (2008). “Safety Engineering Cost Analysis and Budging” in Safety Professionals’ Handbook. Edited by Joel M. Haight. Des Plaines, IL: American Society of Safety Engineers.
- Gambatese, J., T. M. Toole, and M. Behm (2008). “Prevention through Design Practice and Research: A Construction Industry Perspective.” Proceedings of CIB W99
International Conference 14th Rinker International Conference, March 2008.
- Toole, T. M. (2007). “Design Engineers’ Responses to Safety Situations.” ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 133(2):126-131.
- Toole, T. M., N. Hervol and M. Hallowell (2006). "Designing for Construction Safety." Modern Steel Construction 46(6): 55-59.
- Toole, T. M. (2005). ”Increasing Engineers’ Role in Construction Safety: Opportunities and Barriers.” ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. 131(3): 199-207. (Best Paper Award)