Civil & Environmental Engineering
Stephen G. Buonopane
- B.S.E., Princeton University 1991
- M.S., Cornell University 1997
- Ph.D., Johns Hopkins University 2004
- Bucknell University, 2003-present
- Structural Analysis and Design
- Steel and Concrete Design
- Numerical Methods
- Earthquake Engineering
- Structural Reliability
- Analysis and preservation of historic structures
- Engineering history
- Sustainable building design
- Consultant to the Historic American Engineering Record, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2010
- Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc., 1997-2000
- Parsons Corporation, 1992-1994
- ASCE History and Heritage Committee, 2004-present
- SEI Sustainability Committee, 2006-present
- Registered Professional Engineer (Massachusetts)
- S.G. Buonopane. Strength and reliability of steel frames with random properties. Journal of Structural Engineering, 134(2):337-344, 2008.
- S.G. Buonopane and B.W. Schafer. "Structural reliability of steel frames designed by advanced analysis." Journal of Structural Engineering, 132(2):267-276, 2006.
- T. Igusa, S.G. Buonopane, and B. Ellingwood. "Bayesian analysis of uncertainty for structural engineering applications." Structural Safety, 24(2-4):165–186, 2002.
- S.G. Buonopane and R.N. White. "Pseudodynamic testing of a masonry infilled reinforced concrete frame." Journal of Structural Engineering, 125(6):578–589, 1999.
- S.G. Buonopane and D.P. Billington. "Theory and history in suspension bridge design from 1823 to 1940." Journal of Structural Engineering, 119(3):954–977, 1993.
Conference Proceedings and Other
- S.G. Buonopane and S. Kelton. "Mechanical properties of wrought iron from Penns Creek Bridge (1886)." In H. Adeli, editor, Historic Bridges: Evaluation, Preservation, and Management, pages 167-182. CRC Press, 2008.
- S.G. Buonopane. "The basics of life cycle assessment (LCA) for structural engineers." In ASCE/SEI Structures Congress, 2008.
- S.G. Buonopane. "Life cycle assessment and structural engineering practice." Structural Engineer, 9(8):20, September 2008.
- S.G. Buonopane. “The technical writings of John A. Roebling and his contributions to suspension bridge design.” In John A. Roebling Symposium. American Society of Civil Engineers, 2006.
- S.G. Buonopane. The Roeblings and the stayed suspension bridge: Its development and propagation in 19th century United States. In The Second International Congress on Construction History, pages 441-460, Cambridge, England, 2006. Construction History Society.
- D. Gasparini and S.G. Buonopane. "Nondeterministic structural analyses: Insights on static behavior of hyperstatic structures." In Symposium in Honor of Jacques Heyman, pages 143-178, Madrid, Spain, 2005. Instituto Juan de Herrera
- S.G. Buonopane. "Involving universities in preserving Pennsylvania’s historic bridges." In Byways to the Past, Proceedings of the 5th Annual Conference on Historic Preservation and Transportation Projects, 2004.
- S.G. Buonopane, B.W. Schafer, and T. Igusa. "Reliability considerations for steel frames designed with advanced analysis." In SSRC-AISC Joint Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, 2003.
- S.G. Buonopane and M. Brown. "History and engineering analysis of the 1890 cable-stayed bluff dale bridge." In First International Congress on Construction History, Madrid, Spain, 2003. Instituto Juan de Herrera.
- S.G. Buonopane, J. Spivey, and D. Gasparini. "Engineering analysis as a historical documentation tool: recent work of the Historic American Engineering Record." In First International Congress on Construction History, Madrid, Spain, 2003. Instituto Juan de Herrera.
- B.W. Schafer, S. G. Buonopane, T. Igusa, and B. Ellingwood. "Decision-theoretic view of building design codes." In NSF Design, Service, Manufacture and Industrial Innovation Research Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2002.
- S.G. Buonopane. "Concrete and reinforcing from Campbell’s Bridge (1906)." In ACI Fall convention, Toronto, Canada, 2000. American Concrete Institute.