Graduate International Students
Applications from students living outside the United States of America should be received by
January 1 preceding the desired fall semester of enrollment.
The application must include:
- Certification of the students undergraduate degree (in original language and English) including
date of conferral, degree title and major.
- Official transcript from undergraduate institution with explanation of credit and grading system
with appropriate translations of coursework or grading as necessary.
- Official TOFEL or IELTS scores for applicants whose native language is not English
- Official GRE scores (subject GRE scores may also be required by some departments)
- Completed application including 2 letters of reference, personal statement, and application fee
- Completed graduate studies financial aid form
- Completed Confidential Statement of Finances form
- Minimum undergraduate GPA: 3.0
- Minimum TOFEL score of 100 points on internet-based test or Minimum IELTS score of 7.0
- Minimum GRE total score of 1000
- For department requirements, please see individual department web pages
Admission to graduate studies does not imply financial assistance will be given. Admission means
only that the student may take graduate courses.
Admitted students must be able to finance at least one year of school (12 months in 2011-12 cost
$ 33,425) which also includes the purchase of mandatory Bucknell student health insurance.
Prior to attendance at the university the student must:
- Complete and submit to graduate studies the confidential statement of finances for international students including an original bank statement indicating U.S. dollar amount of personal/parent savings or notarized affidavit indicating guaranteed support from a relative, government or other sponsoring agency.
- Obtain a student visa (F-1 status) from the U.S. consulate in their home country. Graduate students are not required to submit the $500 deposit. This visa requires a Form I-20 document issued by the Director of Immigration Services. An I-20 will only be issued to international students who have completed the confidential statement of finances form.
- International students must show sources of support in the amount of $2000 in addition to the financial aid award before an I-20 can be issued.
The Graduate Student Financial Guarantee sheet provides information concerning the cost of attending Bucknell University. Further information concerning the Guarantee can be found on the International Student Services webpage. Please note that Graduate students must use financial estimates for Graduate students.
International Student Orientation is required of all new international students. This program is scheduled 10 days before the start of fall classes