Calendar of Events
- Friday, May 17, 2013
- Saturday, May 18, 2013
- Sunday, May 19, 2013
You may also download a pdf version of the Calendar of Events.
Commencement weekend events are open to all guests attending and are free, with the exception of housing, the Courtside Grill and the Graduates Farewell Luncheon.
Noon – 3 p.m.
Post Graduate Survey and Caps and Gowns
On-line registration (April 2013)
Graduation registration processing activities requiring approximately 90 minutes will take place by appointment in the Refectory of the Elaine Langone Center from noon to 3 p.m. on Friday, May 17 and from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, May 18.
- After completing the Post Graduate Survey, graduates will be directed to the proper location to receive honors medallions and rain location tickets and to pick up their caps and gowns.
- Procession directions for the Commencement ceremony will be provided to graduates when caps and gowns are distributed.
- Caps and gowns are provided to graduates at no charge. Caps and gowns do not need to be returned.
Shabbat services will not occur on campus Friday evening, May 17, 2013. Families may attend services at Congregation Beth El of Sunbury, 249 Arch Street, Sunbury PA 17801. There will be a family service at 6:30p.m. For more information you may call 570-286-1490, or visit their web page at www.beth-el-sunbury.org
Phi Beta Kappa Induction Ceremony
The ceremony will be held in the Forum of the Elaine Langone Center and will be followed by a reception, at approximately 4:30p.m. in the Terrace Room.
Wine and Cheese Reception
A reception to honor graduates, along with faculty, administration and staff. Families are invited and welcome to attend this event in Sojka Pavilion.
Alcohol will be served and a wristband is required for guests planning to consume alcoholic beverages. Banding for all guests over the age of 21 will be offered in the Elaine Langone Center, second floor registration area on Friday, May 17, from noon - 4:30 p.m. It will also be offered near the entrance to the Wine & Cheese Reception on Friday evening.
9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Post Graduate Survey Information and Caps & Gown Continues
(See Friday Noon – 3 p.m. for details)
President’s Senior Awards Ceremony
The President and faculty will honor seniors at a ceremony in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. University prizes and awards for academic achievement and personal merit will be conferred on members of the Class of 2013 at this ceremony.
- The Provost's office will notify seniors who are receiving awards in May.
- A reception with light refreshments will follow the ceremony in the Weis Center Lobby.
1 - 4 p.m.
Departments will hold receptions in many areas throughout campus. A detailed schedule of locations will be available in the Elaine Langone Center on Commencement Weekend.
Catholic Mass will be offered in Rooke Chapel. A reception will be held immediately following in front of Rooke Chapel.
5 - 8 p.m.
An opportunity for graduates and their families to meet and dine informally, an early evening grilled buffet dinner will be served in Sojka Pavilion and Bostwick Dining Room. Tickets are required.
Inter-Religious Baccalaureate Service
Baccalaureate is an inter-religious service of worship for seniors, graduate students and their guests. The service will be offered in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts. Seats are available on a first come, first served basis. Doors open at 7p.m.
- For a further description of this event, visit www.bucknell.edu/x4674.xml.
Seniors will line the perimeter of the Academic Quadrangle to participate in the Candlelighting Ceremony. This event recreates the candlelighting ceremony in which the class participated during their first-year orientation. Parents, family, and friends are encouraged to attend and will be seated in the center of the Quad. Parents and guests will have a role in the ceremony, directed by a member of the Bucknell Parents Board. In the event of rain, the ceremony will be held in the Gerhard Fieldhouse.
9:30 p.m. - midnight
Families, friends, and members of the faculty and administrative staff are invited to join the graduates at the Commencement Celebration, in Sojka Pavilion immediately following the Candlelighting Ceremony, beginning at approximately 9:30 p.m. This event is free and open to all guests.
Alcohol will be served and a wristband is required for guests planning to consume alcoholic beverages.
Banding for all guests over the age of 21 will be offered in the Elaine Langone Center, second floor registration area on Saturday, May 18, from 10:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Banding will also be offered at the Courtside Grill locations and near the entrance to the Commencement Celebration on Saturday evening.
Tickets are not required for Commencement if held outside on the Academic Quadrangle. Ceremony will conclude at approximately 1 p.m.
- No rehearsal for seniors or graduate students is scheduled for the Commencement ceremony; information will be sent to graduates from the Registrar’s Office before the end of the semester.
- General information about the Commencement ceremony (special seating, first-aid station, etc.) will be available at three kiosks on the Academic Quadrangle prior to and during the ceremony.
- At least one guest must remain to hold seats on the Quad. Items left unattended will be removed and can be claimed in the Registrar's Office, 102 Marts Hall, following the ceremony.
- Lost-and-found items will be held at the University Switchboard on the second floor of the Elaine Langone Center.
- Restrooms are available on all floors of the Bertrand Library, Coleman Hall, Vaughan Literature, and the Elaine Langone Center. Portable toilets will be available on the west side of the library.
- Outside ceremony is held on the lawn. Please dress appropriately for grass and weather.
- Beverage stations will be located near the library on the south end of the Quad.
- Streaming of the Commencement Ceremony will be available. Please refer to www.bucknell.edu/Commencement closer to May for additional information.
Graduates Farewell Luncheon
The luncheon provides an opportunity to extend congratulations to the graduates, families and guests prior to departing from campus at the Farewell Luncheon in Sojka Pavilion, Bostwick Dining Room and the Terrace Room immediately following the ceremony. Tickets are required.
Catholic Mass will be offered in Rooke Chapel.