Civil & Environmental Engineering
Kelly A. Salyards
- B.A.E. in Architectural Engineering, Penn State University (2000)
- M.A.E. in Architectural Engineering, Penn State University (2000)
- PH.D. in Architectural Engineering, Penn State University (2007)
- Engineering Mechanics
- Mechanics of Materials
- Design of Concrete Structures
- Introduction to Structural Interaction
- Structural Dynamics
- Vibration Serviceability
- Crowd-induced Excitation/Loading
- Human-Structure Interaction
Professional Registration & Affiliation:
- Licensed engineer in Pennsylvania #73840
- Member of American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Member of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member of Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI)
- Member of Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- Member of Society for Experimental Mechanics(SEM)
- Structural Engineer, Foreman Architects Engineers, Inc. Zelienople, PA (2000-2003)
- 2010 Outstanding Paper Award, ASCE Journal of Constructed Facilities for paper titled "Evaluation of Vibration Assessment Criteria and Their Applicability to Stadium Serviceability"
- Noss, N. and Salyards, K. Development of a Laboratory Test Program to Examine Human-Structure Interaction. Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 30th International Modal Analysis Conference. Jacksonville, FL. January 30 - February 2, 2012.
- Salyards, K. Estimation of In-service Dynamic Crowd Loading for Vibration Serviceability Assessment Using Experimental Measurements. Accepted for publication in the Proceedings of the 2012 ASCE Structures Congress. Chicago, IL. March 29-31, 2012.
- Atamturktur, S., Gilligan, C., and Salyards, K. Detection of Internal Defects in Concrete Members Using Global Vibration Characteristics, Submitted to ACI Structural and Materials Journal (2011)
- Salyards, K. Finite Element Model Tuning of a Joist-Supported Floor Structure Utilizing Modal Testing Results, Submitted to ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering (2011)
- Salyards, K. and Hanagan, L.M. Initial FE Modeling Assumptions for Modal Analysis and Natural Frequency Estimation of a Grandstand, Submitted to the AISC Engineering Journal (2011).
- Salyards, K., Firman, R.J. (2011). Human-structure Interaction: Effects of Crowd Characteristics, Proceedings of the 29th International Modal Analysis Conference, Jacksonville, FL, January 31 - February 3, 2011.
- Salyards, K. (2011) Lessons Learned through the Development of an Undergraduate Course on Civil Engineering Failures, Proceedings of ASCE Structures Congress, Las Vegas, NV, April 14-16, 2011.
- Salyards, K. and Hanagan, L.M. (2010), Evaluation of Vibration Assessment Criteria and Their Applicability to Stadium Serviceability, Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, v 24, n 2, 100-107. **Awarded Outstanding Paper Award, ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities
- Salyards, K., Firman, R.J. (2010). Experimental Investigation of Dynamic Load Estimation Using Small-Scale Testing, Proceedings of the 28th International Modal Analysis Conference. Jacksonville, FL, February 1-4, 2010.
- Salyards, K., Firman, R.J. (2009). Review of Generic and Manufacturer Design Criteria for Vibration Sensitive Equipment. Proceedings of the 27th International Modal Analysis Conference, Orlando, FL, February 9-12, 2009.
- Salyards, K. (2008) Utilization of Simple Dynamic Models to Explore Load Estimation Method Based on In-Service Structural Responses. Proceedings of the 26th International Modal Analysis Conference. Orlando, FL, February 4-7, 2008.
- Salyards, K., Hanagan, L.M. (2007) Analysis of Coordinated Crowd Vibration Levels in a Stadium Structure. Proceedings of the 25th International Modal Analysis Conference. Orlando, FL, February 19-22, 2007.
- Salyards, K., Hanagan, L.M. and Kim, C. (2006) A Unique Vibration Serviceability Case Study of a Complex Structure. Proceedings of Architectural Engineering National Conference. Omaha, NE, March 29-April 1, 2006.
- Salyards, K., Hanagan, L.M. and Trethewey, M.W. (2006) Comparing Vibration Serviceability Assessment Measures for Stadium Rock Concert Data. Proceedings of the 24th International Modal Analysis Conference. St. Louis, MO, January 20 - February 2, 2006.
- Salyards, K. and Hanagan, L.M. (2005) Evaluation of a Finite Element Model for Dynamic Characteristic Prediction of a Stadium Facility. Proceedings of the 23rd International Modal Analysis Conference. Orlando, FL, January 31-February 3, 2005.
- Committee for Structural Identification, ASCE (2011-present)
- Secretary, Civil Structure Testing - Technical Division, Society of Experimental Mechanics (SEM) (Three year term: 2011-2014)
- Technical Council on Forensic Engineering Education (TCFE Education), ASCE (2008-present)
- Assistant Mentor, ExCEEd Workshop for Educators, ASCE (2010-present)