Emergency Communications Plan
Bucknell has a comprehensive emergency management and crisis plan that it regularly and systematically reviews. This plan includes our capacity to employ a variety of communications tools and systems to inform members of the campus community of emergency- or crisis-related developments.
Bucknell University has a variety of communications tools to alert our students and the campus of emergencies, including:
- Cell phone emergency notification
- An emergency email system that includes everyone on campus and has no opt-out option
- An alerts system built into all faculty and staff computers Windows systems that works like a pop-up notice and gets the attention of all employees at their computers
- The Bucknell switchboard office maintains a log of all phone numbers for the campus and can reach all phones on campus within minutes
- A radio system that connects to our campus events and custodial staff that allows us to spread messages to campus very quickly
- Our Department of Public Safety automobiles have built-in PA systems that can deliver unified messages to campus
- A phone system that allows us to post unified messages to our voicemail system that will force on the light on campus phones
- A phone system that allows us to post unified messages as hold information
- A Bucknell website, as well as customized Bucknell portals for students, employees, alumni, and parents where we can post any information necessary
The University's Department of Public Safety has 14 full-time officers and six part-time officers. They hold police and arrest powers and patrol campus on a regular basis, 24-hours, seven days per week. They are Act 120 certified police officers (meaning they have attended the same municipal police academy as all municipal police officers), and trained in emergency response, CPR, first aid, fire safety, crisis intervention, patrol, and more.
The department also has a close working relationship with the Buffalo Valley Regional Police Department and the Union County Sheriff's office.