LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell University department of mathematics has announced the winners of the 34th Annual John Steiner Gold High School Mathematics Competition, held May 2 with 91 students registered from 22 Pennsylvania high schools.
Students have two hours to work 36 non-routine and stimulating problems intended to foster both creativity and interest in mathematics. The examination does not presuppose any knowledge of mathematics beyond the usual high school curriculum.
The Professor John Steiner Gold Mathematical Competition is sponsored by Bucknell in memory of the late John Steiner Gold, who taught at several area high schools before joining the faculty at Bucknell, where he served with distinction for nearly half a century.
In the spirit of his life-long work, this competition was established to discover and to encourage mathematical talent. The competition is open to all Pennsylvania Area High Schools, public and private. Additional information on this year's Gold Exam as well as next year's event can be found on the web at http://www.bucknell.edu/math.
Team winners were:
• First place: Parkland High School, Allentown; team members were Klaus Zhang, Greg Schettini, Taylor Archibald
• Second place: Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School, Mechanicsburg; Brian Soulliard, Tony Lun, Lee Kennedy-Shaffer
• Third place: Cumberland Valley High School – Mechanicsburg; Mike Lengel, Sterling Miller, Rohit Chandra.
The following schools were awarded certificates of honorable mention:
• Hershey High School, Hershey; team members were Yufeng Guo, Amy Liao, Qinren Zhen
• Selinsgrove Area High School, Selinsgrove; Steve Rubin, Joe Ruby, Alexa Benner.
Individual winners were:
• First place: Klaus Zhang, Parkland High School
• Second place: Bradley Weaver, Annville-Cleona High School
• Third place: Sam Weil, Hershey High School
• Fourth place: Michael Chirico, Northampton Area High School
• Fifth place: Brian Soulliard, Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School.
Individual honorable mention
Honorable mention was awarded to:
• Michael Caffrey, Lake Lehman High School
• Lee Kennedy-Shaffer and Tony Lun, Mechanicsburg High School
• Mike Lengel and Sterling Miller, Cumberland Valley High School
• Steve Rubin and Joe Ruby, Selinsgrove Area High School
• Greg Schettini, Parkland High School
• Jamie Wang, Pottsville Area High School
• Qinren Zhen, Hershey High School.
The students who scored highest in each school were:
• Annville-Cleona High School, Bradley Weaver
• Bellefonte Area High School, Casey Crisman-Cox
• Blue Mountain High School, Justin Thompson
• Cedar Crest High School, Mike Follett
• Central Dauphin High School, Sumit Rastogi
• Cumberland Valley High School, Sterling Miller
• East Pennsboro High School, Matt Dinkel
• Hershey High School, Sam Weil
• Lake Lehman High School, Michael Caffrey
• Lewisburg High School, Ariel Kniss
• Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School, Brian Soulliard
• Montoursville High School, Grant Myers
• Northampton Area High School, Michael Chirico
• North Schuylkill, Rachael O’Keefe
• Northern High School, Megan Schultz
• Parkland High School, Klaus Zhang
• Penns Valley Area High School, Nathan Brown
• Pottsville Area High School, Jamie Wang
• Selinsgrove Area High School, Joe Ruby
• Steelton-Highspire School District, Latasha Henderson
• Susquehanna Township High School, Jonathan Powanda
• Warrior Run High School, Michael Adams
Posted May 11, 2007