Forrest D. Brown Conference Center at Cowan
You are responsible for adhering to regulations as listed below. Keep this information for your reference, and for the reference of others in your group.
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES PERMITTED.
- NO PARKING ON THE LAWN. Parking is permitted in the lot or beside the road.
- Please carpool where possible - the parking area can accommodate only 25 vehicles.
- No pets are allowed in any part of the building.
- Food is not permitted in the dorms.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the lodge (includes dorm areas).
- We request that you do not use electric rollers, hot combs, blow dryers, etc. (with the exception of an electric razor), due to wiring limitations.
- When staying overnight, individuals should provide their own sleeping bags or sheets and pillowcases, as no linens are provided. Arrangements to rent linens may be made in advance with this office.
- Wood for the fireplace is kept outside. BE SURE THE DRAFT IS OPEN BEFORE STARTING A FIRE. The handle is located inside the fireplace - upper right. Please do not try to build a large fire. Close the screen when you are out of the room. DO NOT douse the fire with water, as bricks will crack!
- Indoor games are in the bookcases and on tables in the lodge. Please replace properly and in order, sorting out card decks, etc. Some outdoor sports equipment (softball, volleyball, football, soccer) may be found in the hall storage area.
- The Brown Conference Center telephone number is 570-966-0660. Please make LOCAL CALLS ONLY, or reverse the charges or use a calling card for long distance. (Calls to Lewisburg are "local".) Please keep your call short.
- ROGER OBERLIN is the Center Caretaker. He can be reached at 570-966-3294.
The cooperation of everyone is necessary to maintain the lodge and grounds. Both Bucknell and non-Bucknell groups are reminded of this responsibility. Please be respectful of the facilities and leave the center as you found it. Trash should be gathered and placed in receptacles, blankets should be folded and placed at the foot of each bed and furniture, if moved, should be returned to its original location. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. After each group's use of the Center this office, in order to assist in the management of the facility, receives the Caretaker's comments.
- The kitchen provides basic dishes, silverware, and cooking utensils as well as a microwave, two 48-cup coffeepots and a toaster.
- Groups must provide foods, seasonings, napkins, detergents, etc.
- There are folding 8-foot tables and folding chairs in the dining area which may be set up (by you, and put away again afterwards) for meals.
- Rolls of paper tablecloths are available for those who do not bring their own tablecloths.
- Silverware and plastic dishes should not be taken outside.
- Before using the stove (brand new model October, 2006), please take a few minutes and read the instructions posted before operating the unit and prior to clean-up. A complete instruction booklet is located in the drawer beside the stove.
- All dishes, silverware, glasses and utensils should be CLEANED THOROUGHLY and returned to their appropriate places.
- The refrigerator should be left EMPTY and clean. Please wipe down inside and remove any scraps of food in it.
- If you use dishtowels (in bottom drawer of cabinet), please rinse them out with hot water and soap after use and hang them over the table to dry.
- Garbage and trash should be deposited in the can under the shelf.
- Keep the screen doors CLOSED - try to keep the flies under control.