Please note: You are viewing an archived Bucknell University news story. It is possible that information found on this page has become outdated or inaccurate, and links and images contained within are not guaranteed to function correctly.
[X] Close this message.
By Kathryn Kopchik
LEWISBURG, Pa. — Bucknell University's "Jazz Celebration" continues with a series of concerts in March and April featuring music faculty, visiting artists and the Bucknell Jazz Band.
"The generous support of the University, the Kushell Endowment and the Weis family allows for world-class performances as well as workshops with these talented musicians," said Barry Long, assistant professor of music at Bucknell. "We welcome the community to join us in this celebration of jazz."
The schedule of performances includes:
• March 4: Fred Hersch, solo jazz piano, 8:30 p.m., Bucknell Hall, as part of the ongoing Jazz at Bucknell First Wednesdays series.
• March 17: Phil Haynes, Bucknell faculty member, in an ensemble program of original works, 8 p.m., Bucknell Hall.
• March 23: Jim Balagurchik, jazz piano, 7 p.m., Rooke Recital Hall, Weis Music Building. A 1977 graduate of Bucknell, Balagurchik has been living and performing in New York City as a regular at Cameo's and the Hotel Kitano, among other New York jazz venues.
• March 24: Barry Long, Bucknell faculty member, 7 p.m., Rooke Recital Hall, Weis Music Building, in an ensemble program of original works, as part of the ongoing Gallery Series.
• March 25: Steve Rudolph Trio with Drew Gress, bass, and Phil Haynes, drums, 8 p.m., Rooke Recital Hall, Weis Music Building, as part of the ongoing Janet Weis Cabaret Jazz Series.
• April 1: Steve Coleman & Five Elements, 8:30 p.m., Bucknell Hall, with Steve Coleman, alto saxophone/composer; Jonathan Finlayson, trumpet; Tim Albright, trombone; Jen Shyu, vocals; Thomas Morgan, bass; and Marcus Gilmore, drums, as part of the ongoing Jazz at Bucknell First Wednesdays series.
• April 3: the Bucknell University Jazz Band, 7:30 p.m., Weis Center, in a program of new and standard works.
• April 8: Taylor Eigsti, piano, and Julian Lage, guitar, 8 p.m., Rooke Recital Hall, Weis Music Building. Eigsti and Lage were originally scheduled to perform on Jan. 28 as part of the ongoing Janet Weis Cabaret Jazz Series.
• April 14: Andy Middleton, jazz saxophone, with Barry Long, flugelhorn, Steve Rudolph, piano, Josh Davis, bass, and Phil Haynes, drums, 8 p.m., Bucknell Hall.
All performances and associated workshops are free and open to the public. For further information, contact Barry Long at 570-577-1312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Division of Communications