A social security number is given to American citizens at birth. It is a number that will later be used for financial and employment reasons. The social security number has become a form of identification.

It is necessary to have a social security number to be employed on campus. To obtain a driver's license you will also need a social security number and most banks will require it as well.

You will have the opportunity to apply for a social security number during International Student Orientation.

The closest Social Security Office is located at 300 Market Street in Sunbury, PA. Their telephone number is 286-7101. ISS can provide you with transportation to the Social Security Office. You must bring your passport and form I-20 or DS-2019, there is no charge. If you are in J-1 or F-1 status you must bring a letter from ISS that authorizes you for on-campus employment at Bucknell University.

Directions from Lewisburg: take Route 15 South to Shamokin Dam (about 10 minutes.) Pass K-Mart department store and take the Sunbury exit off Route 15. Cross the bridge into Sunbury, continue North on Route 147 and turn right onto Market Street at the first traffic light. Just pass the traffic circle you will see the Social Security Office on the left. It is on the first floor of 300 Market Street. Parking is located in front of the building.

Closest Social Security Office

Social Security Administration
Philadelphia Region
300 Market Street
Sunbury, PA
FAX: 570-988-0058
Hours: Monday-Friday (9am-4pm)

Service Representative: Rose Weber
570-286-8241 ext. 207

Duplicate Card

To replace a misplaced or lost social security card you can obtain a duplicate. Visit International Student Services, Vedder 125, and pick up an application for a social security card. Complete the application and mail the above documents to Social Securty. You are not able to send a photocopy of your documents. Mail passport, form I-20 or DS-2019, and your I-94 card using Federal Express to:

Social Security Administration
300 Market Street, Sunbury
PA 17801

or visit the office. The same process is used to correct a card because of a name change or error. To change your name you must submit one or more documents identifying yourself by your OLD name any your NEW name. In both cases if you were born outside the U.S. you must show proof that you are in good standing with the INS (I-94 card, I-20 and passport).


Places I've Been

The following links are virtual breadcrumbs marking the 27 most recent pages you have visited in Bucknell.edu. If you want to remember a specific page forever click the pin in the top right corner and we will be sure not to replace it. Close this message.