Civil & Environmental Engineering
Huan V. Luong
Environmental Engineering & Science Laboratory Director
- Associate of Science, Biological Science, City College of San Francisco, California (1974)
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Science, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska (1976)
- Certificate, Internet Programming, University of Washington, Seattle, WA (2000)
- Training in Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry. Perkin-Elmer, Seattle, WA. (1980)
- Training in Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry. Virginia Institute of Technology, Blacksburg, VA. (1992)
- Training in Continuous Flow Analysis. Perstorp Analytical, Wilsonville, OR. (1993)
- Training in MicroGC Systems. Hewlett-Packard, Wilmington, DE. (1998)
- Training in GC/MS. Agilent Technologies, Alpharetta, GA. (2009)
- Training in HPLC. Dionex Corporation, Bannockburn, Il. (2010)
- Laboratory Director: January 2009 - Present. Bucknell University, Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- Laboratory Instrumentation Manager: July 2001 - December 2008. Seattle University, School of Science and Engineering.
- Science Coordinator/Lab Manager: 1999-July/2001. University of Washington Bothell.
- Research Associate: 1987-1999. University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Instructor: 1988-1991. University of Alaska Fairbanks.
- Consulting Chemist: Summer 1991. VRCA Analytical, Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Research Technician: 1978-1987. University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Publications and Patents:
- H. K. Lin and H. V. Luong 2004. Column Leaching for Simulating Heap and In-situ Soil Remediation with Metallic Fenton Reaction. Journal of Minerals & Materials Characterization & Engineering 3(1), 33-39 (2004).
- Luong,Huan V. and Hsing K. Lin. 2000. Controlling The Fenton Reaction For Soil Remediation. Analytical Letters 33(14), 3051-3065 (2000).
- Luong,Huan V. and Hsing K. Lin. 1999. "Remediation of Soil Contaminated With Organic compounds." United States Patent Number: 5,855,797
- Luong,Huan V., Hsing K. Lin, Howard Fruwirth, and George S.Mueller. 1999. "Large-Sample Accessory For A Gas Chromatograph." United States Patent Number: 5,997,615
- White, D.M., and H. Luong. 1998. Pyrolysis-GC/MS Analysis of Contaminated Soils in Alaska. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. March, 1998: 1-10.
- White, D. M., and H. Luong. 1997. Predicting Diauxy During Bioremediation in Organic Soil. Pages 430-435 in I.K. Iskandar, E.A. Wright, J.K. Radke, B.S. Sharratt, P.H. Groenevelt, and L.D. Hinzman, editors. International Symposium on Physics, Chemistry and Ecology of Seasonally Frozen Soils.
- Brown, E.J., S.M. Resnick, C. Rebstock, H.V. Luong, and J. Lindstrom. 1991. UAF radiorespirometric protocol for assessing hydrocarbon mineralization potential in environmental samples. Biodegradation 2: 121-127.
- Plonski, B.A., H.V. Luong, and E.J Brown. 1990. Arsenic sorption by chitosan and chitin deacetylase production by Mucor rouxii. Biorecovery 1: 239-253.
- Hong, S., H.V. Luong, D.R. Maneval, and E.J. Brown. 1988. Biological benification of an Alaskan ore. The Northern Engineer 20:11-14.
- Luong, H.V., J.F. Braddock, and E.J. Brown. 1985. Microbial leaching of arsenic from low sulfide gold mine material. Geomicrobiology Journal 4:73-86.
- Braddock, J.F., H.V. Luong, and E.J. Brown. 1984. Growth Kinetics of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans isolated from arsenic mine drainage. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 48:48-55.
- Brown, E.J., H.V. Luong, and J.M. Forshaug. 1983. Geomicrobiology of arsenic associated with gold deposits in Alaska. Pages 571-580 in G. Rossi and A.E. Torma, editors. Recent Progress in Biohydrometallurgy. Assoc. Min. Sarda, F., and F. Paretti. Grafiche-Firenze, Italy.
- Brown, E.J., H.V. Luong and J.M. Forshaug. 1982. The occurrence of Thiobacillus ferrooxidans and arsenic in subarctic streams affected by gold mine drainage. Arctic 35:417-421.