Itinerary and Highlights for Village Life in Tuscany
From approximately $2995 plus air
1 Depart from the U.S.
2 Florence, Italy/Siena
4 Siena (Montalcino)
5 Siena (Florence)
7 Siena (Chianti Region)
8 Siena (San Gimignano)
9 Siena/Florence/Return to the U.S.
- Experience the rhythms of daily life in Tuscany while staying in the walled, medieval hill town of Siena, a UNESCO World Heritage site, in the centrally located Hotel Athena.
- Discover the unrivaled cultural and artistic heritage of Tuscany by witnessing the exquisite artistry of the greatest masters of the Italian Renaissance and visiting three of Italy's UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Learn the untold secrets of Siena's historic contrada (neighborhoods) during a special guided tour and visit the famous wine town of Montalcino and the "City of Beautiful Towers," San Gimignano, two of the best-preserved and most beautiful hill towns in Italy.
- Marvel at the exquisite artistic and architectural treasures of Florence, including Michelangelo's masterpiece, the David, and Brunelleschi's magnificent dome of the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore.
- Enjoy a program of cultural enrichments, including sampling the exquisite wines of Chianti, listening to monks perform Gregorian chants in the 11th-century Abbey of Sant'Antimo, attending a special seminar on Tuscan olive oil with a tasting and meeting with local citizens to discuss life in Tuscany during the exclusive Village Forumtm.
Experience traditional Tuscan hospitality amid the medieval splendors of Siena while spending seven nights in the charming four-star Hotel Athena. Located within walking distance of the Piazza del Campo and the Duomo, this inviting hotel offers comfortable, stylish accommodations while combining old world charm and exceptional service with 21st-century amenities and facilities. All rooms are individually appointed in a classic Italian or contemporary style. Meals, featuring the refined flavors and rustic simplicity of classic Tuscan cuisine, are served in the hotel's appealing restaurant, set amid stone and brick arches that recall Tuscany's traditional architectural style. Refreshments are available at the 7th-floor bar and the adjoining terrace, which offers exceptional panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. Hotel facilities also include a small business center with Internet access and a currency exchange. Personal, attentive service will be provided throughout your stay by the hotel's professional staff.
- Seven nights in the charming Hotel Athena located within Siena's historic city center.
- Private welcome reception in the hotel with Tuscan wine and cheese.
- Breakfast each day, two-course lunches on select tours and several three-course dinners with house wine.
Tours and Excursions, Led by Expert Local Guides
- Architectural walking tour of Siena, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and its most famous landmarks, including the Palazzo Pubblico, the Duomo and Contrada.
- Excursion to the picturesque medieval hamlet of Montalcino and a visit to the Abbey of Sant'Antimo in the heart of the Tuscan countryside.
- Excursion to Florence, a UNESCO World Heritage site and center of the Italian Renaissance, featuring a visit to the famous Galleria dell' Accademia to see Michelangelo's David.
- In-depth tour of the world-renowned wine-producing region of Chianti.
- Tour of the "City of Beautiful Towers," San Gimignano, a UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the best-preserved and most beautiful medieval towns in Italy. Lunch is included.
Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Expert-led seminar on Tuscan olive oil followed by a visit to a local artisanal pasta maker who will demonstrate the art of making Italy's most famous food.
- Performance of Gregorian chants by monks in the 12th-century Abbey of Sant'Antimo.Specially arranged wine tasting in Chianti and a traditional Tuscan lunch.
- Exclusive Village Forumtm with local residents who will discuss daily life in Tuscany.
- Specially arranged optional hands-on cooking class culminating in a dinner in Arte e Cucina cooking school.
Comprehensive Travel Services
- All transfers and luggage handling abroad for all participants who have purchased their air tickets through Gohagan & Company and whose arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Experienced Program Directors to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information for each participant.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.