Making a Referral
Making a Referral to Psychological Services
If you believe that a student would benefit from talking with a counselor there are a number of things that you can do to make a referral:
- Remind the student that our services are free to Bucknell students.
- Suggest that the student take a look at the Psychological Services web page.
- Remind the student that conversations with counselors are confidential.
- Offer to make the call yourself to set up an appointment for the student.
- Note that a large percentage of the student's class will have contact with our office by the time they graduate.
- Offer to walk in with the student at the time of his or her first appointment.
- If you yourself have ever benefited from talking with a counselor, and you are comfortable with this sort of self-disclosure, share your experience with the student.
- It may also be helpful to remind the student that in an after-hours emergency he or she can reach the on-call counselor by dialing 570-577-1604 (x71604).
If you believe that the situation is urgent you may want to...
- Suggest that the student accompany you to our office - no appointment is necessary in an emergency.
- Follow up with the student and ask about his or her visit to Psych. Services.
- Stop by to consult in person with one of our counselor.
- Call to consult with one of our counselors 570-577-1604 (x71604).