Associate Professor of Mechanical & Chemical Engineering
Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Phone: (570) 577-3409
Fax: (570) 577-7281
- B.S., Stanford University
- M.S., Stanford University
- Ph.D., Stanford University
Teaching Interests/Courses Taught:
- Science of Materials (ENGR 240)
- Mechanics I (ENGR 220)
- Mechanical behavior
- Bulk metallic glasses
- D.R. Askeland and W.J. Wright, Essential of Materials Science and Engineering, Third Edition, Cengage Learning, 2012.
- A. Bharathula, S-W. Lee, W.J. Wright, and K.M. Flores. "Compression Testing of Metallic Glass at Small Length Scales: Effects on Deformation Mode and Stability." Acta Materialia, Volume 58, pp. 5789-5796, 2010.
- D.R. Askeland, P.P. Fulay, and W.J. Wright, The Science and Engineering of Materials, Sixth Edition, Cengage Learning, 2010.
- W.J. Wright, M.W. Samale, T.C. Hufnagel, M.M. LeBlanc, and J.N. Florando. "Determination of Shear Band Velocity Using Spatially and Temporally Resolved Measurements of Strain During Quasistatic Compression of a Bulk Metallic Glass." Acta Materialia, Volume 57, pp. 4639-4648, 2009.
- W.J. Wright and W.D. Nix, "Storage and Loss Stiffnesses and Moduli as Determined by Dynamic Nanoindentation." Journal of Materials Research, Volume 24, Number 3, pp. 863-871, 2009.
- W.J. Wright, A.R. Maloney, and W.D. Nix. "An Improved Analysis for Viscoelastic Damping in Dynamic Nanoindentation." International Journal of Surface Science and Engineering, Volume 1, Numbers 2/3, pp. 274-292, 2007.
- T.S. Wilson, J.P. Bearinger, J.L. Herberg, J.E. Marion III, W.J. Wright, C.L. Evans, and D.J. Maitland. "Shape Memory Polymers Based on Uniform Aliphatic Urethane Networks." Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Volume 106, pp. 540-551, 2007.
- H. Mahfuz, A. Adnan, V.K. Rangari, M.M. Hasan, S. Jeelani, W.J. Wright, and S.J. DeTeresa. "Enhancement of Strength and Stiffness of Nylon 6 Filaments through Carbon Nanotube Reinforcement." Applied Physics Letters, Volume 88, 083119, 2006.
- W.J. Wright, T.C. Hufnagel, and W.D. Nix. "Free Volume Coalescence and Void Formation in Shear Bands in Metallic Glass." Journal of Applied Physics, Volume 93, Number 3, pp. 1432-1437, 2003.
- W.J. Wright, R. Saha, and W.D. Nix. "Deformation Mechanisms of the Zr40Ti14Ni10Cu12Be24 Bulk Metallic Glass." Materials Transactions, JIM, Volume 42, Number 4, pp. 642-649, 2001.
- W.J. Wright, R.B. Schwarz, and W.D. Nix. "Localized Heating During Serrated Plastic Flow in Bulk Metallic Glasses." Materials Science and Engineering A, Volume 319-321, pp. 229-232, 2001.
Selected Honors and Awards:
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2010)
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (2005)
- Stanford University's Walter J. Gores Award for Excellence in Teaching (2003)
- American Association of University Women Educational Foundation Selected Professions Fellowship (2002 - 2003)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (1998 - 2001)