July 2011 News
- Gediman to discuss 'This I Believe' Sept. 6
Author Dan Gediman will speak to the Class of 2015 on Tuesday, Sept. 6, at 7 p.m. in Trout Auditorium of the Vaughan Literature Building. The talk, "This I Believe: An Evening with Dan Gediman," is free and open to the public.
- 'Saying goodbye to an angel': Ofori remembered as spirited, courageous
Akua "Adoma" Ofori, the sister of recent graduate Kodjo Karikari, died Sunday, several weeks after receiving critical surgery for a brain tumor. The Bucknell community helped raise money and awareness to bring her to the United States for treatment.
- 16 local families benefit from Bucknell, LARA pool pass project
Sixteen local families have received pool passes this summer through a fundraiser coordinated by Bucknell University students and the Lewisburg Area Recreation Authority.
- 259 student-athletes named to dean's list
Two-hundred fifty-nine Bucknell University student-athletes have earned Dean's List honors for the 2011 spring semester.
- Ask the Experts: Charles Kim on engineering for need
Charles Kim, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, talks about engineering for those struggling to meet basic needs and how such projects benefit students by facilitating deeper learning and a greater sense of civic responsibility.
- Dining service partners with local farm in composting operation
Bucknell University Dining and a local farm have launched a partnership to compost as much as 850 pounds a day of discarded food scraps and recyclable napkins from Bucknell's main dining venue, Bostwick Marketplace.
- Bucknell to host summer conferences
Bucknell University will host about 5,000 visitors participating in about 35 conferences beginning June 9 through July 31.
- Students conduct summer undergrad research
Nearly 100 Bucknell University students are pursuing a multitude of research projects this summer covering a variety of academic disciplines in the sciences, the humanities and engineering.
- Students, community help bring recent grad's sister to U.S. for brain surgery
The efforts of Bucknellians and the greater community helped recent graduate Kodjo Karikari bring his sister from Ghana to a regional hospital for brain surgery.
- Sigma Xi poster session July 27 spotlights student/faculty research
Bucknell University's annual Student Summer Research Poster Session will be held in the Terrace Room of the Elaine Langone Center Wednesday, July 27, from 2 to 4 p.m. The session will feature the work of the many students who have spent the summer working with members of the Bucknell faculty on research projects in a variety of disciplines.
- WKOK panel to discuss opportunities for broadband network
Regional leaders will discuss plans and opportunities for a statewide broadband network during a WKOK Roundtable broadcast, 9 to 10 a.m., Sunday, July 24.