The Marcellus Shale Initiative
Support objective research, provide a primarily print-based publications database, and critically evaluate information related to the Marcellus Shale natural gas play.
- Coordination of research activities and support of Bucknell faculty members in all academic divisions in efforts to seek funding for research on Marcellus Shale-related issues.
- Development and maintenance of a comprehensive, objective web-based clearinghouse for information on Marcellus Shale-related issues that will:
1) Expand and maintain the Marcellus Shale Initiative Publications Database: This existing database lists primarily print-based publications and how to obtain them. It does NOT provide coverage of websites, blogs, news articles, newsletters, or other media.
2) Develop a comprehensive website for reliable Marcellus-related information. This website will be regularly updated and will provide critical evaluation of Marcellus-related information from industry, regulatory agencies, print and web media, environmental groups, citizens' groups. This much larger project is in the feasibility and fundraising stage.
3) Highlight Marcellus-related research by Bucknell faculty and students. This project is under development.
- Facilitate teaching and additional outreach efforts
Forum for Pennsylvania's Heartland, Degenstein Foundation, Geisinger Health System
Carl S. Kirby, Professor of Geology