Eric Weiss '11
Employer: Nomura Securities, New York, NY
Internship Title: Global Markets Summer Analyst
Describe your duties:
- Gained exposure in both fixed income and equity products through rotational program
- Utilized analytical and interpersonal skills while executing fixed income and equity pitches to senior management
- Created client database to be used by teams to organize data and generate reports to streamline success
What did you enjoy most about your internship?
I enjoyed the fast paced environment with each day being entirely different
What did you enjoy least about your internship? What was the most difficult aspect of the internship?
The most difficult aspect of the internship was the high learning curve that all interns experienced. If a subject was explained during the summer, interns were expected to retain the information and use it in the future to assist the team.
How did your experience at Bucknell prepare you for your internship?
- Bucknell gave me the interpersonal skills that allowed me to excel during the summer.
- Also, the ability to work hard, which I experienced through my coursework at Bucknell helped me complete tasks efficiently during the summer
How did your internship prepare you for a career?
- Through my internship experience I was given a Full Time Offer to work at Nomura.
- I now know what to expect as I begin my career in finance and what challenges I will face as a Full Time Analyst
What recommendations do you have for other students considering doing an internship?
- Be prepared to do any task that you are asked during the summer. You never know which project could land you a full time offer
- Be the first one in the office in the morning and the last one to leave at night
- Ask questions, but never be overbearing. People are willing to help but make sure they are not involved in a million dollar trade!
- Study, study, study before you go to interview for positions in finance!