Preparing a Collection of Essays
The Bucknell University Press encourages collaboration and warmly welcomes collections of essays on new and exciting scholarly topics.
All final manuscripts (and ideally, drafts of manuscripts) will conform to Bucknell University Press formatting standards. The following considerations are specific to essay collections and should be considered in addition to the usual formatting standards for all manuscripts.
Proposals for edited collections often look quite different than proposals for monographs. They should include the following:
- A completed Manuscript Information Sheet (if applicable)
- A brief abstract of the project
- Editor's c.v. (if there are multiple editors, please submit a c.v. for each editor)
- A complete list of all contributors, including current position and university affiliation
- A list of topics and titles covered by the essays, or (preferred) brief synopses of included essays
- A timeline for publication (including submission of first draft of manuscript, time allotted for reading and revisions). This is particularly important if preparing a commemorative volume or other time-sensitive volume.
Preparing Your Manuscript
As you begin to compile your manuscript, it is useful to communicate with your contributors as early as possible to distribute the formatting standards. This saves valuable time in having to revise each individual essay when you initially prepare your manuscript for its first reading.
It is also useful to share your timeline for publication with your contributors so that they are aware of important deadlines.
Now is the time to ask individual authors to secure permissions for images, which can take a few months to acquire, and to hire or request an excellent proof-reader to review the essays and notes. It is particularly important to have your manuscript proof-read thoroughly and professionally to ensure that all notes and particulars conform exactly and consistently to the formatting standards.
Contact the Editorial Associate at the Press at firstname.lastname@example.org or 570.577.3674.