With so many things to think about, why should students pay attention to fire safety policies and procedures? The answer is clear: IT CAN BE A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!!!
Proper Fire prevention measures and the knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures in residence halls save lives. Since 2000, 140 students have died in student housing related fires with the majority (85%) occurring in off campus housing. Fortunately, that number has been declining for the past decade. Nonetheless, the threat remains as evidenced by the tragic Seton Hall residence hall fire of January 2000 that killed three residents and injured sixty-two others. With so many people living in close proximity within our residence halls, every resident plays an important role in preventing fires. The following fire safety information applies to not only residence hall students but also to students residing in off campus homes and apartments.
RESPOND IMMEDIATELY TO ALL FIRE ALARMS; NEVER ASSUME IT IS A FALSE ALARM.
Know two ways out of your building in case one is blocked by smoke or fire.
Post a fire evacuation plan for your floors so all residents can become familiar with it.
If the fire alarm sounds in your building:
Feel your door before opening it; if it is not hot open it slowly to ensure the hallway is not filled with smoke and leave by the nearest exit.
Crawl if there is smoke. Cooler, cleaner air is located near the floor.
If your door is hot do not open it, place a towel at the bottom of the door to prevent smoke from entering your room and call for help (dial 911). Go to your window to attract the attention of people outside (do not break the window) and await emergency personnel.
Do not use elevators to evacuate your building.
Once outside the building, proceed to your designated meeting location.
GET OUT AND STAY OUT!!!
FIRE SAFETY INFORMATION
Call 911 to report a fire.
No open flame devices are permitted in student residences. Open flame devices include candles, incense, oil lamps etc.
Smoking is not permitted in any university building.
Floor style halogen lamps are not permitted in student residences.
Never place objects over (cover) smoke detectors or sprinkler heads.
Never tamper with smoke detectors, sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers or other building life safety equipment.
Do not block open stairway doors. If doors are blocked, open smoke can enter the stairway and prevent its use during an emergency.
Limit the use of electrical extension cords and multi-plug adaptors.
Ensure electrical cords are not placed under rugs or in other areas where they could be damaged and that cords are not tightly coiled.
Read and understand the directions for microwave food preparation.
Remain in the room and monitor cooking appliances when in use.
Report all fires to Bucknell University Department of Public Safety, no matter how minor you believe it is.
COOKING FIRE SAFETY YOU can help prevent fires and fire alarm activations caused by cooking by following these fire safety prevention tips.
NEVER LEAVE COOKING UNATTENDED
If you have to leave the stove, microwave or other cooking appliance for any reason, turn the appliance off.
Turn handles to the center of the stove to prevent accidental spills.
Have a lid close by to place on the pan if a fire starts in the pan.
Use approved pot holders, not aprons or towels.
Always turn on the stove exhaust fan.
Avoid grease buildup on appliances and surrounding surfaces.
Clean appliances regularly. Watch for grease overflows that can start fires.
Don't place towels, napkins or other paper products around the stove surface.
Don't wear loose clothing or clothing with floppy sleeves while cooking.
Be familiar with the operation of all your cooking appliances.
IF YOU HAVE A GREASE OR OTHER COOKING RELATED FIRE:
Never try to move or carry a pan that is on fire. (It is a common reaction to move or throw a burning pan into a sink. This often results in serious burns to individuals and can spread the fire).
Carefully turn the heat off and place a cover over the pan. Do not remove the lid until the pan has cooled down.
Never use water on a grease fire. It will cause the fire to spread.
If possible use an approved portable fire extinguisher to extinguish the fire.
Know how to correctly use your fire extinguisher.
Call 911 to report a fire emergency.
ELECTRICAL CORDS AND APPLIANCES
Never place electrical cords under rugs or furniture or in areas where it could be damaged by people or equipment.
Extension cords are designed for temporary use only.
Repair or replace all damaged electrical cords and appliances.
Do not overload electrical outlets by using multiple plug strips.
OPEN FLAMES (CANDLES, INCENSE)
The presence or use of candles, incense burners and other open flame items are not permitted in university buildings. This includes all apartments, residence halls, offices and research areas.
The use of smoking materials is not permitted in any university building.
Insure smoking materials are totally extinguished before discarding in an approved container.
If an elevator car becomes stuck, remain calm.
Never attempt to exit an elevator car that is stuck between floors without directions and assistance from elevator technicians or emergency personnel.
Do not tamper with or abuse any of the elevator equipment or controls.
Do not pry open doors or hold them open by the safety edges.
Do not jump up/down on an elevator or behave in any way that disrupts the regular functions of the elevator.
Never us an elevator during a fire alarm.
Places I've Been
The following links are virtual breadcrumbs marking the 12 most recent pages you have visited in Bucknell.edu. If you want to remember a specific page forever click the pin in the top right corner and we will be sure not to replace it. Close this message.