Bucknell Family Weekend Sept. 23-25
Posted: September 21, 2011
By Kathryn Kopchik
LEWISBURG, Pa. — Bucknell University will host its annual Family Weekend Sept. 23 to 25.
In addition to activities designed for Bucknell families, several events are open to the general public, including:
- Friday, Sept. 23. Hilltop Film Series. "Brother," directed by Alexie Balabanov, Russia, 1997, 7:30 p.m., Room 221, Coleman Hall.
- Friday, Sept. 23. Family Weekend Concert. Bucknell Orchestra Concert, directed by Christopher Para, 7:30 p.m., Weis Center. The program includes "L'arlesienne" Suite No. 1 by Bizet, Symphony No. 100 in G Major "Military" by Haydn and "Morceau de Concert for horn and orchestra" by Saint-Saens, featuring William Kenny as horn soloist.
- Friday, Sept. 23, and Saturday, Sept. 24. Theatre Showcase. "At Home at the Zoo," directed by Bucknell senior Diego Chiri, 8 p.m., Tustin Studio Theatre. Admission: $5.
- Friday, Sept. 23, and Saturday, Sept. 24. Family Weekend Concert. Christy's a cappella performance, 9 p.m., Rooke Chapel. Admission: $10. Bucknell's student a cappella groups: the Silhouettes, Bison Chips, Two Past Midnight and Beyond Unison.
- Saturday, Sept. 24. Beekeeping documentary. "Queen of the Sun," 2:30 p.m., Campus Theatre, Lewisburg. The film will be followed by a discussion with local bee experts on the global bee crisis.
- Saturday, Sept. 24. Weis Center Event. "Croon" with Todd Murray and Friends, 8 p.m., Weis Center. Tickets: $25. Murray, who grew up in Montandon and performed for years with locally based Re-Creation, presents a tribute to crooning with a program of standards, newer pop and his own originals.
Family Weekend sports events include: Sept. 23: women's soccer vs. Marist, 7 p.m.; Sept. 24: field hockey vs. Rider, 1 p.m.; men's soccer vs. Lehigh, 4 p.m.; Sept. 25: field hockey vs. Rutgers, 2 p.m.
The Samek Art Gallery is hosting two exhibitions. "The Black List Project Volumes 2 and 3: Portraits by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders," showcases photographs of leading African-Americans in the main gallery. "Self Portraits 2002-04: Photographs by Myra Greene," may be seen in the project room. Hours: Sept. 23, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sept. 24 and 25, 1 to 5 p.m.
Contact: Division of Communications
Next story >>