May 2013 News
- Bucknell helps 1,600 mile fiber optic network stretch across state
The just-completed, high-speed Pennsylvania Research and Education Network will provide access to advanced research opportunities for Bucknell students and faculty.
- Thousands returning for Reunion May 30-June 2
Bucknell University will host Reunion Weekend May 30 to June 2, with thousands of alumni and their families planning to return to the campus.
- Sunil Gulati to graduates: Find your passion, remember your compassion
The president of the United States Soccer Federation addressed the Class of 2013 at Bucknell’s 163rd Commencement.
- Bucknell professors earn four Fulbrights
Awards from the U.S. State Department will fund teaching and research residencies at institutions in Europe and Asia.
- Bucknell faculty honored at Commencement
Five members of the Bucknell University faculty were honored with awards recognizing their teaching and scholarly accomplishments during the 163rd Commencement ceremonies on Sunday, May 19.
- More than 900 graduate from Bucknell May 19
Thousands of family members and friends will be on hand to celebrate the Class of 2013 at Bucknell University’s 163rd Commencement.
- A Bucknell legacy continues
Inspired by her grandmother's time at Bucknell 70 years ago, Beth Eanelli will deliver the student address during the University's 163rd Commencement.
- The sound of a new tradition
First-year student Mary Oluokun will sing the National Anthem at Bucknell’s 163rd Commencement.
- Dinosaur Petting Zoo comes to Lewisburg May 31 and June 1
Erth's Dinosaur Petting Zoo will be held May 31 at 5:30 p.m. at Hufnagle Park in Lewisburg and June 1 at 2 p.m. on the lawn across from the Weis Center for the Performing Arts at Bucknell University.
- Bucknell honors staff with Geiger and Zeller Awards
Six members of the Bucknell University staff were honored recently at the annual staff picnic with the Geiger and Zeller Awards.
- SBDC workshop June 6: 'Shale Energy 101'
The Bucknell SBDC will offer the workshop, "Shale Energy 101; Small Business Supply Chain Opportunities," June 6 from 8 a.m. to noon in the SBDC Business Education Center.
- Bucknell Compliments: An anonymous interview
A new Facebook page run by a mystery student features daily accolades for members of the Bucknell community.
- Meeting engineering's grand challenges
The newest member of the Grand Challenge Scholars Program, Bucknell will develop a program for students to address engineering problems and opportunities of the 21st century.
- Botanical Society of America honors Bucknell researchers
Three Bucknell undergraduates will use research awards to study plant life from the banks of the Susquehanna River to the wilds of the Australian Outback.
- Bucknell archives reveal rare photograph of first Chinese American
Wong Chin Foo was the University's first Chinese and second international student
- A family affair
After graduating this weekend, Olivia Tomeo will join her father as a Bucknell grad, with her two sisters not far behind.
- Student leaders honored
Bucknell student leaders were honored recently at the annual Student Leadership Awards presentation.
- Bucknell-Geisinger course offers field experiences in public health
Bucknell University Professor of Sociology Carl Milofsky launched a new course this semester that combines classroom learning with internships at local health-related organizations, including nearby Geisinger Medical Center.
- Legacy concert celebrates history and future of dance
Watch Dance Program alumni prepare to take the stage at Bucknell's Spring Legacy Dance Concert
- From prisons to Congress, student documentary will have a wide audience
Bucknell Film and Media students took their cameras inside federal prisons and courts to examine an offender re-entry program.
- Bucknell President John Bravman to stay through 2020
Bucknell University President John Bravman has accepted an offer by the Board of Trustees to extend his contract through 2020.
- Bucknell hosting programs and conferences through Aug. 4
Bucknell University will host nearly 4,000 visitors participating in about 40 programs beginning May 30 through Aug. 4.
- Bucknell receives $146,000 grant from ExxonMobil Foundation
Bucknell University has received a grant of more than $146,000 from the ExxonMobil Foundation, the primary philanthropic arm of the Exxon Mobil Corporation.
- One-day giving challenge nets $890K
A group of Bucknell alumni put forth the challenge: Raise $100,000 in 24 hours. Bucknellians answered the call, far exceeding expectations.
- Paving the way
For these students, the real-world experience of working to help extend the Buffalo Valley Rail Trail has been a "once-in-a-lifetime learning opportunity."
- Speaker for 163rd Commencement announced
Economist, United States Soccer Federation President and Bucknell alumnus Sunil Gulati will deliver the commencement address to the Class of 2013.
- SBDC partners with area representative June 17
The Bucknell University SBDC will be available at Rep. Lynda Schlegel-Culver's office June 17 to provide entrepreneurs with free consulting services and information.
- SBDC workshops May 21 focus on employees
The Bucknell SBDC will offer two workshops focusing on employee performance, discipline and termination with Victoria Mavis on May 21.