By Kathryn Kopchik
LEWISBURG, Pa. — Jazz Appreciation Month will be celebrated at Bucknell University with several jazz events on campus and in the community.
"Jazz has been essential to American music for well over a century," said Barry Long, assistant professor of music at Bucknell and director of the Bucknell Jazz Band.
"We're thrilled to invite so many artists from a variety of traditions to campus in celebration of Jazz Appreciation Month this April, many of whom will work with our students in classes and ensembles.
"In fact, we have so many jazz events that we carried the series over into May," he said.
The schedule of concerts includes:
- April 3: The Art Lande Quartet at 8:30 p.m. in Bucknell Hall, as part of the ongoing Jazz at Bucknell First Wednesdays series. Free, no tickets required.
- April 9: South African jazz legend Hugh Masekela, 7:30 p.m., Weis Center, as part of the Weis Center Series. Tickets are $20 for adults, $16 for seniors ages 62+, $10 for youth under 18 and $10 for all college students.
- April 12: "Quiet Pride" project, a five-movement musical tribute to sculptor Elizabeth Catlett, with the Bucknell Jazz Band featuring jazz bassist Rufus Reid, 7:30 p.m., Weis Center, as part of the Weis Center Series. Free, no tickets required.
- April 17: "Brazilian Duos" with jazz vocalist Luciana Souza and Romero Lubambo, 7:30 p.m., Weis Center Lobby, as part of the Weis Center Series. Free, no tickets required.
- April 27: Bucknell Jazz Band, 2:30 p.m., Hufnagle Park, as part of the Lewisburg Celebration of the Arts. Free, no tickets required.
- April 27: Janet Weis Jazz Series. Tia Fuller, saxophone player for Beyonce, 7:30 p.m., Campus Theatre, Lewisburg, co-presented as part of the Weis Center Series and the Lewisburg Celebration of the Arts. Free; no tickets required.
- May 1: Jazz at Bucknell First Wednesdays Series. The Jazz@Bucknell Standard, with Gary Thomas, flute and tenor sax; Bobby Avey, piano; and Phil Haynes, drums; with special guests on bass and trumpet, 8:30 p.m., Bucknell Hall.
Contact: Division of Communications