COMPLETE and SUBMIT THE ITEMS BELOW BY April 15, 2014 (postmarked date)
Complete a 2014-2015 Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete your 2014-2015 FAFSA. Bucknell’s FAFSA school code is 003238.
- Parents and students with PIN numbers will use these to print and sign the signature page of the FAFSA. If you do not have a PIN number, or have lost your PIN, print out the signature page (the last step of the process) and then submit your electronic application. Sign the signature page and immediately mail it to the federal processor.
- If you complete the FAFSA online correctly, the Department of Education will notify you via email. If you have not received the email within 72 hours, go back and resubmit the FAFSA. The Department of Education will contact you by email or letter if there are any problems with your FAFSA.
- If this is your first time applying for Bucknell need-based aid, the CSS PROFILE must be completed at student.collegeboard.org/profile.
- Late applicants whose files are not complete by May 1 will receive a reduction to Bucknell Need-Based Grant.
*** The Government is requiring that your tax information be submitted via IRS Data Retrieval on the FAFSA for all students who are selected for verification. If you or your parents file your tax return before the April 15th deadline, we recommend waiting until your tax return is completed before completing the FAFSA. When you file your FAFSA, select the IRS Data Retrieval Process when prompted; otherwise, we may have to ask you for additional information.
PLEASE NOTE: In early May, a letter will be sent to financial aid applicants who are "selected for verification" by the Department of Education. Please review that letter and click on the following if you need to order a tax transcript.
ALSO NOTE: If you were selected for federal verification and you indicated that you did not file a federal tax return, you will receive notification from our office to complete a Non-Tax Filer Form. (If you did NOT receive a notice from us, please do NOT complete this form.)
*** Even if you do the IRS Data Retrieval process, please be aware that the Office of Financial Aid still requires copies of parent 2013 tax documents, as described below. ***
Print, complete, sign and mail to Bucknell's Office of Financial Aid the Bucknell University Verification Form.
- The student and at least one parent must sign this form.
- If you are studying abroad during the spring 2014 semester, and you did not complete a Bucknell University Verification Form already, we recommend that your parents complete it and then mail, fax or email a scanned copy directly to you. You should then sign the form and mail, fax or email it directly to our office by the April 15 deadline. The form is not complete unless both the student and at least one parent have signed it.
Submit to Bucknell's Office of Financial Aid copies of first 2 pages and schedules A, B, C, D and K (if filed) of parent 2013 Federal Tax Returns and W2s.
- Print clearly the student’s name and Bucknell University ID number on all documents.
- Attach all 2013 W-2 and 1099 forms.
- Tax Extensions: If your parents will be filing an extension, return the Bucknell University Verification Form on time with a copy of the extension form. You will still be required to submit the tax return to us after it is filed, as your financial aid will not be processed until we receive a copy of the actual filed tax return.
- Non-filers of Federal 2013 Tax Returns: Parents who are not required to file a federal tax return should indicate their non-filing status by checking the appropriate box on the Bucknell University Verification Form. Be sure to complete the untaxed income section on the application. If your parent(s) worked, they will need to submit copies of all W-2 forms.
If you did not borrow a Federal Direct Loan in the 2013-14 academic year, but you plan to do so for 2014-15, you will need to:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov to complete the two requirements below:
Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- You will need to have your Department of Education issued PIN for this process. If you do not have your PIN, please visit the official PIN site at www.pin.ed.gov.
If your parents plan to borrow a Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) for the 2014-15 academic year, please be aware of the following:
- Federal regulations require that you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before your parents may borrow a PLUS loan. Please refer to Loans.
ALL students applying for need based aid must complete the Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form.
- Log in to myBucknell.
- Click the Banner Web Quick Link on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the "FinAid" tab.
- Click on the "Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form."
- When the welcome page for the Named Scholarship Form appears, click the "Continue" button.
This form is very important as it helps us to utilize our endowed funds as efficiently as possible. Please understand that these endowed sources do not provide additional aid, but they help to fund previously awarded aid. In addition, this process provides students the opportunity to develop personal connections with our generous donors.
PLEASE NOTE: Completion of the Student Disclosure/Named Scholarship Form will not result in additional aid. This form merely helps us to distribute resources from named scholarships. Completion after the application deadline will NOT cause your financial aid file to be late.
*** Students: monitor the Bucknell Message Center through myBucknell for Financial Aid Communications ***
- Reminder information to apply for financial aid for the 2014-15 academic year will be posted on the Bucknell Message Center in February, March, and April, so students should check the Message Center periodically.
- You can monitor any missing documents by reviewing the Financial Aid features of Banner Web through myBucknell. Due to the huge volume of mail we receive during the processing season, it may take several days before we have entered your documents into Banner. When monitoring Banner Web, please be sure to allow several days for both mail time and data entry.
- Students who have completed their financial aid files on time will receive emails in mid-June, instructing them how to view their financial aid packages on Banner Web.