General Wedding Information
Rooke Chapel and Bucknell Hall are available to all people for weddings. Inquiries about reservations, rental fees and insurance requirements may be made to the Events Management Office (570) 577-3666. Inquiries can also be made for rehearsal dinners and wedding receptions.
Marriage ceremonies in Pennsylvania may be performed by the following:
- Justices of the Peace,
- County Clerks or their Deputies within the county
- or clergy of any regularly established church or congregation (i.e., ministers, pastors, priests, rabbis).
Bucknell's Catholic Chaplain (570) 577-3766, Jewish Chaplain (570) 577-2273 and Protestant Chaplain (570) 577-1592, officiate at weddings according to their schedules and discretion. Catholic weddings at Bucknell are limited to Catholic alumni, faculty, staff and their families, and then, only if Diocesan guidelines and policies are followed. Prior to any date being reserved or confirmed with the Events Management Office at Bucknell, the prospective bride and groom are required to have a canonical meeting with Bucknell's Catholic priest, Father Wangwe. Canonical law states that the canonical meeting must take place at least twelve months prior to the wedding date.
A one-hour rehearsal time on the evening prior to your wedding should be reserved when your wedding is confirmed. No custodial service or set-ups will be available at rehearsals, including microphones.
A custodian will be present throughout your reservation. The custodian reserves the right to refuse any last minute requests.
Restrictions for Rooke Chapel and Bucknell Hall:
- No rice, confetti, rose petals, birdseed, balloons, or any other object may be thrown either inside or outside either facility.
- Nothing may be attached with tape, thumbtacks, etc.
- Candlelight services are prohibited.
- No furniture may be moved, including piano, lectern and pulpit.
- Animals/pets are prohibited.
- A horse and buggy may be used on University grounds by prior permission only.
Rooke Chapel Information
Saturday dates are generally available, with the exclusion of April, May, December and on certain University occasions. Dates may be requested in the distant future, but reservations can be confirmed no earlier than one year in advance. Sunday weddings cannot be accommodated.
Weddings must be scheduled at either 11am, 3pm or 7pm during summer and academic breaks.
- an 11 am wedding has access from 10 am - 1 pm
- a 1 pm wedding has access from 12 pm - 3 pm only
- a 3 pm wedding has access from 2 pm - 5 pm
- a 7 pm wedding has access from 6 pm - 9 pm
Please advise florists and photographers of the time constraints.
Organ and Piano:
The pipe organ and a grand piano are available for wedding use, but the University organist, Mr. David Cover (570) 577-1592, reserves the right to approve that the proposed organist will use the pipe organ properly. A list of organists is available at the Events Management Office. Organists should contact the Rooke Chapel Office, (570) 577-1592 to schedule rehearsal times, if applicable.
A limit of only four wedding-party vehicles may be driven on the Chapel pathway. Use of the pathway behind the Chapel is permitted for two vehicles only. Vehicles are limited to only automobiles and limousines. Parking on the lawn is prohibited. Parking is available on Moore Avenue and the Stadium Drive parking lot.
Parking for people with disabilities is available in the Stadium Drive lot. An accessible ramp is located on the right side of the Chapel. Listening devices are available upon prior request. A handicapped unisex bathroom is located in the Chapel to the left upon entry. Please advise the Events Management Office if you have a person with a disability and require information on accommodations.
There are two candelabras, holding seven candles each, totaling 14. Only these candles and the unity candle are permitted, and only in the altar area, with protective plastic under the holders. No hand held or aisle pew candles are permitted. Candles for the candelabras are provided. The unity candle is the responsibility of the wedding party.
- Grand piano and pipe organ
- Lectern and pulpit microphones
- One wireless lapel microphone and one wireless hand held microphone
- 2 single kneeling benches with rail
- 5 music stands
- Maximum capacity is 750 (downstairs center section seats approximately 300)
- The aisle for a runner is 75' long, although aisle runners are not included.
Bucknell Hall Information
Bucknell Hall may be used for weddings and interfaith services. Jewish services must have approval by the Jewish Chaplain, (570) 577-2273.
Sunday dates are available during the year, with the exclusion of April, May, December and certain University occasions. Due to the University's schedule, Saturday dates are very limited. Although dates may be requested in the distant future, reservations can be confirmed no earlier than one year in advance.
Sunday reservations may be made for one of the below:
- an 11 am wedding, with access from 10 am - 1 pm
- a noon wedding, with access from 11 am - 2 pm
- a 1 pm wedding, with access from noon - 3 pm
Saturday times are limited and scheduled according to availability.
A baby grand piano is available on the stage and may not be moved. An organ is not available. A list of pianists is available from the Events Management Office (570) 577-3095. Rehearsal time must be scheduled with Events Management Office.
Parking can be accommodated on Loomis and Walker Streets. Please observe all parking signs. Handicapped parking is available in the Harris lot, by Vedder Hall and Lowry House. Close parking is limited.
A ramp is located in the rear. Please advise the Events Management Office if you have a person with a disability and require information on accommodations.
- Maximum capacity is 132
- Facility is carpeted and air-conditioned
- Only a portable microphone is available upon request
- No candles or fuel lights permitted, even "altar candles"
- There is a table that may be used as an altar table
- Floral arrangements must have protective material underneath
- Furniture may not be moved without prior, written permission
Any questions regarding marriage licenses, blood tests, or marriage laws may be directed to the Office of the Prothonotary at the Union County Court House, 2nd Street, Lewisburg, (570) 524-8600.
Bucknell University reserves the right to restrict aspects of any wedding deemed inappropriate for either Rooke Chapel or Bucknell Hall. Bucknell also reserves the right to cancel, postpone or change location when, in the opinion of the Vice President for Finance & Administration, the function will interfere with a scheduled University function, natural disaster or acts of nature.