Incoming Student Technology
Library and Information Technology welcomes the Class of 2017!
Library and Information Technology brings together the breadth and depth of extensive library resources and the power and flexibility of computer and telecommunication technologies with a robust campus-wide network and a delightful library facility.
We offer high speed wireless and wired access in all of the residence halls and across campus. At our Tech Desk on the first floor of Bertrand Library, we can assist students with most technology needs, including providing software and hardware support and configuring wireless devices.
1. Buy a laptop through our Bison Laptop program.
- a network cable,
- an external hard drive to back up your computer (we can help you set it up),
- your original disks that came with your computer.
3. Don't bring:
- a wireless printer (it won't work on our network),
- a router to set up your own network (it will conflict with our network, and you can do everything you need to do on our network),
- other wireless network devices that you want to connect that don't support WPA-2 Enterprise encryption.
For questions concerning computing recommendations, please see the Bison Laptop Program page.
We recommend iPhones or any Android. They integrate very well with our Bmail system, and they're easy to configure.
Blackberries are not supported, and Google has dropped Blackberry support for using any sort of Gmail app. We do not recommend Blackberries.
BUTV is our way of distributing television programming throughout campus over our network. BUTV requires the use of a specific set top box. Windstream communications will be distributing set top boxes from the Tech Desk in the library during Orientation in August.
After Orientation, you can pick up your set top box from the Windstream offices on AJK Blvd, across from Walmart, next to OIP.
Telephone and Voice Mail
Bucknell provides a telephone line with voice mail in each University-owned residence hall room.Telephones, however, are not provided, and must be supplied by the student if desired. || Learn more about Student Telephone and Voice Mail service.
Uploading photos to the directory
If you have questions regarding the photo you're uploading to the directory, please see our help page on the topic.