What is facilities?

Facilities is the largest department on campus, totaling more than 200 staff members. The department is organized into a number of functional groups, including facility operations, maintenance and utilities, construction and planning, and administrative programs.

Within the organization are electricians, carpenters, locksmiths, painters, plumbers, groundskeepers, utility technicians, vehicle mechanics, custodians, co-generator power plant operators, warehouse personnel, trades technicians, computer aided designers, and clerical staff, as well as civil, electrical and mechanical engineers.

Facilities is responsible for all facility operations, maintenance and construction, and participates in all planning for physical changes to campus buildings, grounds, and infrastructure, as well as the implementation of those plans.

Facilities is committed to providing quality customer service to members of the Bucknell community.

(back to top)

How can facilities help me?

If you need to have a broken window fixed, a picture hung, a broken or leaking pipe repaired, a toilet unclogged, a room painted, a new key made, an electrical outlet replaced, heat or air conditioning turned on or off, a room cleaned, etc., contact facilities. Facilities provides service for almost any type of repair or replacement.

Facility renovation work should be requested through the appropriate dean or vice president’s office, and coordinated with facilities.

(back to top)

Which department should I contact?

See a quick reference list of services provided by facilities and other departments.

(back to top)

How do I request work to be done as a student?

Students can request work to be done in their rooms by completing the work order log, which is posted on the custodial closet or bulletin boards in each residence hall.

The type of work requested should be minor, such as replacing a light bulb or fixing an outlet.

If the custodian or the trades technician assigned to the area cannot fix the problem, or if a part needs to be ordered, the work request will be forwarded to the central shop for scheduling.

Work requests which require more specialized attention, such as lack of air conditioning or heat, should be reported to the appropriate Resident Assistant (RA), Resident Manager (RM), or Community Director who will, in turn, screen these requests before forwarding them to facilities for action.

(back to top)

How do I request work to be done as a faculty or staff member?

Send an e-mail message to pplant@bucknell.edu (please use this e-mail address ONLY). You will receive confirmation that your work request has been received and recorded, along with the assigned work request number. Please refer to that number when inquiring about the status of a particular work request.

For emergency work requests, call 570.577.1464 between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

For emergency work requests after hours, call the switchboard (dial 0) or Public Safety (dial 570.577.3333)

Request for keys or locks should be submitted as regular work requests and are subject to approval by the director of facility services.

If a work request requires specific information, i.e., a map, detailed instructions, etc., forward information via interoffice mail or fax to facilities.

Facilities uses a computer-based work request control system called The Maintenance Authority (TMA). Offices that send a high volume of work requests to facilities have been provided with a special e-mail link to the TMA system. Other offices should use the pplant@bucknell.edu e-mail address to request work.

(back to top)

What products do custodians use, and are they safe and environmentally friendly?

View Custodial Green Initiatives.

(back to top)



Places I've Been

The following links are virtual breadcrumbs marking the 27 most recent pages you have visited in Bucknell.edu. If you want to remember a specific page forever click the pin in the top right corner and we will be sure not to replace it. Close this message.