(on leave fall 2017 - spring 2018)
- Ph.D., Duke University
Research and Teaching Interests
- contemporary political theory
- cultural and ethnic pluralism
- law and legal theory
Courses Typically Offered
- POLS 263 - Race, Ethnicity and American Legal Thought
- POLS 266 - Nationalism East and West
- POLS 360 - American Constitutional Theory
- CAPS 497 - Social Justice & Public Policy
Deliberative Democracy and the Plural Polity
University Press of Kansas, 2004
* Reviewed in Argument and Advocacy, Perspectives on Politics, Political Studies Review, and the Foundations of Political Thought Website (www.politicaltheory.org)
* Nominated for the First Book Award, the Ralph J. Bunche Award, the Giovanni Sartori Award, the Elaine & David Spitz Award, and the Grawemeyer Prize
Political Research Quarterly, Volume 68, Number 3 (September, 2015)
"Two Concepts of Constituency"
The Journal of Politics, Volume 77, Number 2 (April, 2015)
"The Political Ontology of Race"
Polity, Volume 44, Number 1 (January, 2012)
"The Priority of Racial Constituency over Descriptive Representation"
The Journal of Politics, Volume 73, Number 3 (July, 2011)
"Communicative Action, Strategic Action, and Inter-Group Dialogue"
European Journal of Political Theory, Volume 2, Issue 2 (2003)
"Tribal Sovereignty and the Intercultural Public Sphere"
Philosophy and Social Criticism, Volume 25, Number 5 (September, 1999)
"Critical Intercultural Dialogue"
Polity, Volume 31, Number 4 (Summer, 1999)
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (May, 2008; Updated 2011; 2016)
"Descriptive Representation in the British Columbia Citizens Assembly"
Designing Democratic Renewal, ed. Mark Warren and Hilary Pearse, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2008
"Diversity, Deliberation, and the Concepts of Constituency"
Polity, Volume 40, Number 2 (April 2008)
(Part of a symposium on Andrew Rehfeld's The Concept of Constituency)