Each year, as part of the Commencement Weekend activities, the Office of the Chaplains & Religious Life honors our graduates with a inter-faith celebration. The service takes place immediately prior to the Senior Candlelighting Ceremony on the evening before Commencement.
Class of 2017 Baccalaureate Service
Saturday, May 20 at 8 p.m. in Rooke Chapel
Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. No tickets are required, but seating in Rooke Chapel is limited. Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Themes and speakers from recent years have included:
- 2016: Speaker: The Rev. Dr. John Patrick Colatch, University Chaplain, Bucknell University
- 2015: Speaker: The Rev. Dr. John Patrick Colatch, University Chaplain, Bucknell University
- 2014: Speaker: Rabbi Serena Fujita, University Jewish Chaplian, Bucknell University
- 2013: Speaker: The Rev. Dr. John Patrick Colatch, University Chaplain, Bucknell University
- 2012: Speaker: The Rev. Donald W. Cramer, St. Monica Parish, Sunbury, Pa.
- 2011: Speaker: The Reverend Gail Bowman, Chaplain, Assistant Professor of Religion and Project Director of VisionQuest, Dillard University, New Orleans, La.
- 2010: Speaker: Imam Abdullah Antepli, Muslim Chaplain, Duke University
- 2009: Speaker: Rabbi David Saperstein, Director of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
- 2008: "Our Welfare is Bound Together"; Speaker: The Rev. Dr. Alison L. Boden, Dean of Religious Life and of the Chapel, Princeton University, Princeton, N.J.
- 2007: "We Look at Ourselves; the Kinds of People We Are"; Speaker: Chaplain Jewelnel Davis, University Chaplain, Associate Provost, and Director of the Earl Hall Center, Columbia University, New York City
- 2006: Senior Speakers: Kenneth Greenbaum, Gretchen Perry and Rosa Terlazzo
- 2005: Senior Speakers: Khalid Alghamdi, Ann K. Rosko, Kelly Jeanne Raffety and Jeffrey Wodlinger
- 2004: "The Place of Privilege"; Speaker: Karen M. Morin, Associate Professor of Geography
- 2003: "Reflections on Hope in an Age of Cynicism"; Speaker: Dee Casteel, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- 2002: "Reflections on Crisis and Continuity"; Speaker: Deborah Abowitz, Associate Professor of Sociology
- 2001: "Reflections on Journey's Ending, Journey's Beginning"; Speaker: Gary Sojka, President, 1984-95 and Professor of Biology.
- 2000: "Learning, Living, Loving, and Leaving"; Speaker: Brad Tufts, longtime Bucknell administrator and coach.
- 1999: "Reflections on Reconciliation and Harmony"; Speaker: Maureen Murphy, retiring Associate Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences
- 1998: "Reflections on Community"; Speaker: Elias Abelson, retiring University General Counsel
- 1997: "Reflections on Compassion and Loving One's Neighbors"; Speaker: William Becker, retiring Professor of Religion
- 1996: "Reflections on Money, Simplicity and Priorities..."; Speaker: Joyce Bylander, Associate Dean of Students
- 1995: "Reflections on the Way of Peace"; Speakers: Dillonna Lewis '95; Teresa Amott, Professor of Economics
- 1994: "Reflections on Wisdom and Life's Journey"; Speaker: Douglas Sturm, Professor of Political Science and Religion