(on leave 2016-17)
Director, Grand Challenge Scholars Program, a program for students interested in the "Grand Challenges" that engineers face to make progress toward a sustainable world.
- B.S. in Civil Engineering, Bucknell University, 1983
- M.S. in Civil Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1990
- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1994
- Construction safety, particularly designing for construction safety
- Project management, particularly project management simulation
- Construction innovation
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Professional Civil Engineer registered in Pennsylvania
- Initiated and maintains www.designforconstructionsafety.org.
- Member, National Academy of Engineering Grand Challenge Scholars Program Steering Committee (2014-present)
- Member, Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi, Chi Epsilon, Omicron Delta Kappa, and Mortar Board honor societies
- Member, ANSI A10 Prevention Through Design Working Group
- Member, American Society of Safety Engineers and American Society of Engineering Education
Gambatese, J. A., T. M. Toole and D. Abowitz (2017). "Barriers to Prevention through Design." J. of Construction Engineering and Management. DOI 10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001296.
Toole, T. M., J. A. Gambatese and D. Abowitz (2016). "Owners' Role in Facilitating Prevention through Design." J. of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. DOI 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000295.
Behm, M., J. Gambatese, and T. M. Toole (2014). "Construction Safety and Health through Design." Construction Safety Management and Engineering, 2nd Ed. Darryl C. Hill, Editor. Des Plaines, IL: American Society of Safety Engineers.
Toole, T. M. and T. Berkeley (2014). "Regulatory Requirements." Construction Safety Management and Engineering, 2nd Ed. Darryl C. Hill, Editor. Des Plaines, IL: American Society of Safety Engineers.
Toole, T. M. and G. Carpenter (2013). "Prevention through Design as a Path Towards Social Sustainability. J. of Architectural Engineering 19(3): 169-173.
Toole, T. M. (2012, 2008). "Safety Engineering Cost Analysis and Budgeting" in Safety Professionals' Handbook, Second Edition. Edited by Joel M. Haight. Des Plaines, IL: American Society of Safety Engineers.
Toole, T. M., M. R. Hallowell, and P. S. Chinowsky (2013). "A Tool for Enhancing Innovation in Construction Organizations." Engineering Projects Organization Journal 3(1):32-50.
Toole, T., M. P. Heckel, and M. R. Hallowell (2013). "Public and Organizational Policy: A Key Factor Enabling Prevention through Design." Professional Safety 58(1):41-49.
Toole, T. M., P. Chinowsky and M. Hallowell (2011). "Strategic Innovation in EPC." Chinowsky, P. S. and A. D. Songer, Eds. Organization Management in Construction. London: Spon Press/Taylor & Francis.
Toole, T. M. (2011). "Internal Impediments to ASCE Vision 2025." Leadership and Management in Engineering 11(2):197-207.
Abowitz, D. and T. M. Toole (2010). "Mixed Method Research: Fundamental Issues of Design, Validity and Reliability in Construction Research." Journal Of Construction Engineering and Management 136 (1): 108-116.
Hallowell, M. R. and T. M. Toole (2009). "A Contemporary Design-Bid-Build Model." Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 135(6): 540-549.