Bucknell University’s Office for Accessibility Resources (OAR) offers a wide variety of services to students with temporary, documented disabilities. Services are extended to students with temporary disabilities only for the duration of their functional limitations associated with their disability. The eligibility process is outlined below and is based on a case-by-case review. After talking with the student and reviewing the documentation, the Director will determine appropriate academic services and accommodations depending on how the student is limited in the academic and/or physical setting. The Director will provide appropriate information so that the student may access the accommodations for which student is eligible. In most situations, the student is responsible for requesting accommodations in a timely manner and to follow OAR policies and procedures for accessing accommodations as outlined in this section.

Temporarily Registering with OAR

  1. The student contacts the Director of the OAR. During this contact the Director of the OAR identifies the documentation the student needs to submit.
  2. The student submits required documentation from a certified professional, who cannot be a family member of the student, to the Director of OAR (in person, fax, scan and email).
  3. The Director reviews all information/materials and assesses the status and reasonableness of the request.
  4. The Director notifies the student via email or phone to report whether the temporary accommodation request is approved, request more information, or explain why the temporary request is not approved.
  5. If the temporary request is not approved and the student is unsatisfied with the outcome of this process, the student contacts the Director:
    Heather Fowler, Director
    Office of Accessibility Resources (107 Carnegie Bldg.)
    1 Dent Drive
    Lewisburg, PA 17837             
    570.577.1188 fax 570.577.1826

Getting Around Campus

Mobility Device

A student who has a temporary impairment/injury and in need of a personal mobility device (i.e., electric scooter) must provide their own personally prescribed mobility device and are solely responsible for this mobility device. The OAR will work with the student regarding areas for charging and storing, as well as any housing or change of venue needs.

Bucknell University does not provide golf carts nor are golf carts permitted on campus.

Students in need of a mobility device have several financial options:

  1. Patient-Pay — Students may fund their own mobility device. If interested in doing so locally, students  may contact:
    Susquehanna Valley Mobility Services
    1085 Dance Hall Road, Milton, PA  17847
    Phone: 570.246.5300 Fax: 570.246.5310
    Toll-Free: 866-522-5060 http://www.valleymobility.com/
  2. Insurance — Students may have their own insurance cover the cost of a mobility device. Students who are obtaining mobility devices through Susquehanna  Mobility Services must provide a prescription from the attending physician. This may take time to process and immediate
    services are not guaranteed. Please be aware that insurance often does not cover short-term use.
  3. Opportunity Fund — If you require assistance in funding for a personal mobility device please contact:
    Amy Badal, Dean of Students, at 570.577.1601 or abadal@bucknell.edu
    Maisha Kelly (student athletes) at 570.577.1712 or m.palmer@bucknell.edu

Accessible Routes

A student with a temporary impairment/injury in need of accessible routes during inclement weather is advised to talk with the Director of the OAR. The Director will help with planning accessible routes and will work with Facilities to ensure that the routes are cleared in a timely manner. Immediate snow removal cannot be guaranteed, particularly if arrangements were not made ahead of time. View a pdf version of the campus map.


Medical/Health Related Need

All Bucknell University students have access to Student Medical Transport Services for referrals and medical appointments off-campus. Students can schedule a driver by emailing med.transport@bucknell.edu. The following information should be included in the email:

  • Your name
  • Your cell phone number
  • The location from which you want to be picked up (i.e. residence hall, building, etc.)
  • Appointment time
  • Location of appointment
  • Approximate finish time

Please schedule at least 24 hours in advance. Once you request a driver, you will receive a confirmation email with the details of your trip.

Downtown Shuttle

Bucknell University has a fully accessible fleet of shuttles that takes students off campus for shopping and other needs. Information on the Shuttle Schedule can be found at www.bucknell.edu/Shuttles


A student with a temporary impairment/injury inquiring to park in accessible parking spaces must have a state-issued accessible (“handicapped”) parking placard as well as the appropriate Bucknell University parking permit.

To receive a Bucknell University parking permit, the student must contact Public Safety to obtain the appropriate parking permit that must be displayed along with the state-issued accessible parking placard. Information on Bucknell Parking can be found at http://parking.bucknell.edu/

Temporary Accessible (“Handicapped”) Parking Placard

All accessible parking placards, permanent or temporary, must be obtained through the student's state of residence. For Pennsylvania residents, the application for temporary parking placards can be found at http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-145a.pdf

Car on Campus

A first-year student who requires a car for a temporary impairment/injury must first contact the OAR and provide the necessary documentation. The student must then send an email request to Chief Barilar, the Chief of Public Safety, at sjb034@bucknell.edu, and copy the OAR Director hf007@bucknell.edu.


A student with a temporary impairment/injury who is in need of accommodations to support them in the academic setting will need to contact the OAR Director. Reasonable academic accommodations will be provided on a temporary basis and must be supported by documentation.

A student requiring information regarding a change in their course load should contact their academic dean for advice (e.g., drop/add policies, withdrawal from a class and incomplete grades). The most important advice is to communicate with your academic dean and the instructor of the course regarding options for continuing and completing course work.


A student with a temporary impairment/injury who is in need of a housing accommodation will need to contact the OAR Director. The OAR Director will work closely with Housing Services to provide reasonable accommodations; however, based on limited space and time, housing accommodations cannot be guaranteed.