Each year, on Commencement Weekend, the Office of the Chaplains & Religious Life honors our graduates with a multifaith celebration. The service is the evening before the Commencement Ceremony. The service draws on the religious diversity of our student body to speak to a special theme for that year.
Class of 2015 Baccalaureate Service
Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 8 p.m. in the Weis Center for the Performing Arts
The speaker will be The Rev. Dr. John Patrick Colatch, University Chaplain. The Rooke Chapel Choir and Rooke Chapel Ringers will also participate in the service.
Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. No tickets are required, but seating in the Weis Center is limited. Seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
Themes and speakers from recent years have included:
- 2014: Speaker: Rabbi Serena Fujita, University Jewish Chaplian, Bucknell University
- 2013: Speaker: The Rev. Dr. John Patrick Colatch, University Chaplain, Bucknell University
- 2012: Speaker: The Rev. Donald W. Cramer, St. Monica Parish, Sunbury, PA
- 2011: Speaker: The Reverend Gail Bowman, Chaplain, Assistant Professor of Religion and Project Director of VisionQuest, Dillard University, New Orleans, LA
- 2010: Speaker: Imam Abdullah Antepli, Muslim Chaplain, Duke University
- 2009: Speaker: Rabbi David Saperstein, Director of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
- 2008: "Our Welfare is Bound Together"; Speaker: The Rev. Dr. Alison L. Boden, Dean of Religious Life and of the Chapel, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ
- 2007: "We Look at Ourselves; the Kinds of People We Are"; Speaker: Chaplain Jewelnel Davis, University Chaplain, Associate Provost, and Director of the Earl Hall Center, Columbia University, NYC
- 2006: Senior Speakers: Kenneth Greenbaum, Gretchen Perry, Rosa Terlazzo
- 2005: Senior Speakers: Khalid Alghamdi, Ann K. Rosko, Kelly Jeanne Raffety, and Jeffrey Wodlinger
- 2004: "The Place of Privilege"; Speaker: Karen M. Morin, Associate Professor of Geography
- 2003: "Reflections on Hope in an Age of Cynicism"; Speaker: Dee Casteel, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- 2002: "Reflections on Crisis and Continuity"; Speaker: Deborah Abowitz, Associate Professor of Sociology
- 2001: "Reflections on Journey's Ending, Journey's Beginning"; Speaker: Gary Sojka, President, 1984-95 and Professor of Biology.
- 2000: "Learning, Living, Loving, and Leaving"; Speaker: Brad Tufts, long-time Bucknell administrator and coach.
- 1999: "Reflections on Reconciliation and Harmony"; Speaker: Maureen Murphy, retiring Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
- 1998: "Reflections on Community"; Speaker: Elias Abelson, retiring University General Counsel
- 1997: "Reflections on Compassion and Loving One's Neighbors"; Speaker: William Becker, retiring Professor of Religion
- 1996: "Reflections on Money, Simplicity and Priorities..."; Speaker: Joyce Bylander, Associate Dean of Students
- 1995: "Reflections on the Way of Peace"; Speakers: Dillonna Lewis, '95; Teresa Amott, Professor of Economics
- 1994: "Reflections on Wisdom and Life's Journey"; Speaker: Douglas Sturm, Professor of Political Science and Religion